Post Likes

Confused Propane Issues on Lennox furnace

Hello everyone,

I have been working with a Lennox furnace that is giving me nothing but headaches. originally the customer had a old kerosene furnace and we swapped it out with a Propane furnace. everything worked just fine at first until we had a really cold snap and we got called out. when i called the customer and told him i was on route to his home he said evreythign worked perfectly fine. i could not find anything wrong with the furnace i checked gas presseure, pressure switch operation, i operated thef runace and every propane appliance but no drastic change and the furnace is in a outside closet so theres plenty of fresh air. this was about a month ago and today the customer txted me today and said the system was giving a E270 code witch on this particular furnace means no flame sensed/check for flame signal/ improper gas flow/ensure the igniter is lighting. when i got the chnace to get back to the customer everything was working with no issue what so ever. he cycled it various times and it strated every single time. the temp did drp to 36 degress during the night. idk what else too look out for so im seeking some advice with what i can potentially do or if maybe its something going on with the cold temp and the propane maybe rising too high in pressure or idk PLEASE HELP!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by subcoolsal View Post
    Hello everyone,

I have been working with a Lennox furnace that is giving me nothing but headaches. originally the customer had a old kerosene furnace and we swapped it out with a Propane furnace. everything worked just fine at first until we had a really cold snap and we got called out. when i called the customer and told him i was on route to his home he said evreythign worked perfectly fine. i could not find anything wrong with the furnace i checked gas presseure, pressure switch operation, i operated thef runace and every propane appliance but no drastic change and the furnace is in a outside closet so theres plenty of fresh air. this was about a month ago and today the customer txted me today and said the system was giving a E270 code witch on this particular furnace means no flame sensed/check for flame signal/ improper gas flow/ensure the igniter is lighting. when i got the chnace to get back to the customer everything was working with no issue what so ever. he cycled it various times and it strated every single time. the temp did drp to 36 degress during the night. idk what else too look out for so im seeking some advice with what i can potentially do or if maybe its something going on with the cold temp and the propane maybe rising too high in pressure or idk PLEASE HELP!!
    I’ll start this off by asking for the model number.

36 degrees F shouldn’t cause any problems with the tank pressure.
    It's an upside down world we live in.

Post Likes
    its a El296DF110XE060

Post Likes
    its a El296DF110XE060
    I wasn’t able to find an installation manual for the down flow version of the EL296. The upflow/horizontal isn’t approved for manufactured housing.

I also wasn’t able to find the installation instructions for the LP conversion kit (assuming it is the same as for the upflow).

So, right now, I’m not much help.
    It's an upside down world we live in.

Post Likes
    Call "Lennox" tech support. No disrespect here but why have we reached the point where people go online for everything first?

Post Likes
    Is this in a mobile home? Why is it in an outside closet? What is the duct design and connection to the unit?
    A combustion analysis will tell us a lot. Provide those measurements, if you have them.
    What were the line and manifold pressures? Static pressure readings? What type of air filter and where is it mounted?
    AOP Rules: Rules For Equipment Owners.

Free online load calculator: http://www.loadcalc.net/

There = not here. Their = possessive pronoun. They're = they are
    It's = contraction of it is. Its = the possessive form of it
    Too = also. To = expressing motion. Two = 2
    Then = after that, next. Than = indicates a comparison.
    Questions should end with a question mark "?" Statements end with a period "."

Post Likes
    i could not find anything wrong with the furnace i checked gas pressure, pressure switch operation, i operated the frunace and every propane appliance but no drastic change and the furnace is in a outside closet so theres plenty of fresh air. this was about a month ago and today the customer txted me today and said the system was giving a E270 code witch on this particular furnace means no flame sensed/check for flame signal/ improper gas flow/ensure the igniter is lighting.
    You will have to be significantly more specific in your troubleshooting if you want guidance on this issue.

You can’t just say “it operated normally” or “no drastic change”. You need to post the specific numbers you saw when testing:

- actual inches of wc for both inlet and outlet pressure of the gas valve.

- actual inches of wc for the pressure switch.

- actual ignitor resistance reading.

- actual voltage being sent to the ignitor.

- actual number of seconds the ignitor stayed energize.

- actual flame sense micro-amp reading.

- actual numbers on anything else you tested.

Please help us help you.

Some intermittent issues require several visits to isolate, and actually see the problem in real time.
    Instead of learning the tricks of the trade, learn the trade.

8. Likes beenthere liked this post
    Post Likes
    I’d make sure I was onsite checking inlet and outlet gas pressures at the gas valve next time the temps plummet. Every time we get a freeze a couple people on propane will call to say they had no heat. If you show up once it’s above freezing it works fine. But once it’s freezing the regulator at the tank doesn’t keep the pressure up. Most of the time a simple call to the customers propane company has gotten them to come change the regulator. Also if the customer lets their tanks get down to around 30% I’ll see issues like this

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by David Goodman View Post
    I wasn’t able to find an installation manual for the down flow version of the EL296. The upflow/horizontal isn’t approved for manufactured housing. The DF isnt either.

I also wasn’t able to find the installation instructions for the LP conversion kit (assuming it is the same as for the upflow). It is.

So, right now, I’m not much help.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by David Goodman View Post
    I wasn’t able to find an installation manual for the down flow version of the EL296. The upflow/horizontal isn’t approved for manufactured housing.
    From the manuals I have on these systems, it only states they have not been CSA certified for installation in mobile homes, recreational vehicles, or outdoors.
    Instead of learning the tricks of the trade, learn the trade.