Post Likes

Regret breaking one of the golden rules of this site, now regret.

Hello all,
    Countless times the professionals here have advised guests seeking advice that the installation is by far more important than the equipment you may choose. As a homeowner, I am affirming their sage advice. I bought in to and was enamored by marketing of a very new furnace that came out about 9 years ago. I had an excellent contractor I had used for years that did not install the "latest and greatest" equipment that came out. I went with a larger HVAC contractor that had expanded to the area. The installer that came that day had never installed the furnace model before and there were minor issues from the start up. When this furnace is operating properly I love it. Most comfortable one I have owned. As the years go by certain problems continued and the furnace has never made it a full heating season without breaking down at least twice. I have had the unit cleaned and inspected each fall. Have tried 4 different contractors to no avail. I did not mention the specific equipment because the problem mostly is that I have been unable to find a skilled technician in my area that can trouble shoot and fix our problems. Our plan is to limp through the rest of the winter and get with two of our known, local great contractors again this fall.
    Homeowners: LISTEN TO THE ADVICE FROM THE CARING PROFESSIONALS!!!!

Post Likes
    Dont feel bad! (You havent been banned...what, 3 times or so, for telling people bad news!) It's ok! People make mistakes. Everything can be fixed.

Any equipment that is installed wrong will fail in many spectacular ways. The brand doesnt matter.

Thank you for the good "hurrah" for the Pros.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by joeselectric View Post
    Hello all,
    Countless times the professionals here have advised guests seeking advice that the installation is by far more important than the equipment you may choose. As a homeowner, I am affirming their sage advice. I bought in to and was enamored by marketing of a very new furnace that came out about 9 years ago. I had an excellent contractor I had used for years that did not install the "latest and greatest" equipment that came out. I went with a larger HVAC contractor that had expanded to the area. The installer that came that day had never installed the furnace model before and there were minor issues from the start up. When this furnace is operating properly I love it. Most comfortable one I have owned. As the years go by certain problems continued and the furnace has never made it a full heating season without breaking down at least twice. I have had the unit cleaned and inspected each fall. Have tried 4 different contractors to no avail. I did not mention the specific equipment because the problem mostly is that I have been unable to find a skilled technician in my area that can trouble shoot and fix our problems. Our plan is to limp through the rest of the winter and get with two of our known, local great contractors again this fall.
    Homeowners: LISTEN TO THE ADVICE FROM THE CARING PROFESSIONALS!!!!
    While you may be correct about the technicians, there could be an issue with your specific furnace and or that model. If they are unfamiliar with it, it can be tough to get all the pertinent information, bulletins or tech support.

For us, latest and greatest is something we try not to install without a long hard look and research. Sometimes customers demand something and we can't talk them out of it. Then when issues arise, we have to be honest about it.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pacnw View Post
    While you may be correct about the technicians, there could be an issue with your specific furnace and or that model. If they are unfamiliar with it, it can be tough to get all the pertinent information, bulletins or tech support.

For us, latest and greatest is something we try not to install without a long hard look and research. Sometimes customers demand something and we can't talk them out of it. Then when issues arise, we have to be honest about it.
    Absolutely agree! it's a great unit. I should have known better. I do now. All of the techs. that have came out were good people. I hold myself accountable for this. It was kind of the perfect storm of a situation. We're taking our lesson learned and moving forward. I am hopefully retiring from my 35 year Paramedic career in a few years and want to have this stuff resolved beforehand.

Thanks for your time!
    Love the statement in your signature.

Post Likes
    Is yours one of the ones that had pressure switch transducer problems.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Is yours one of the ones that had pressure switch transducer problems.
    h beenthere, yes if I recall correctly it has had at least two sets of those round pressure switches replaced.

Post Likes
    Hmmm...

I was thinking this would be a MOD (modulating) furnace...

We have installed a bunch of them...
    However I will admit I badgered tech support to the point I really think they wished I would loose their ph#... until I thoroughly and fully understood the stuff that was NOT in the install manual.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *Cheap is not good, good is not cheap; however expensive is not a guarantee of quality!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    Hmmm...

I was thinking this would be a MOD (modulating) furnace...

We have installed a bunch of them...
    However I will admit I badgered tech support to the point I really think they wished I would loose their ph#... until I thoroughly and fully understood the stuff that was NOT in the install manual.
    You got it! Glad you got after them! I don't have anyone like yourself willing to take those extra steps. I wish I did!
    Thanks and take care.

Post Likes
    IMO... in MOD furnaces... there 'can' be an exception to the rule that all equipment is the same...
    Some of them are thought out a LOT better than others... and one brand (not mentioned)... is horrible!

Having said that... when a MOD furnace is installed and working properly... they are a new standard to comfort... that simply cannot be achieved with lesser equipment.
    Same goes for inverter driven AC/HP units... albeit I would NEVER let anyone without proper training install/work on one of those!
    One more thing: we ONLY install MOD or inverter drive WITH the factory thermostat... no exceptions.

Look in my profile and Email me the brand and model... and some details of the problems...
    I like to stay up on things...

Now VS furnaces, condensing furnaces, standard furnaces... basic and 2 stage AC and HP's...
    They are all pretty much the same and mostly the same reliability.

Regardless...
    INSTALLATION is always MORE important than the name on the box.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *Cheap is not good, good is not cheap; however expensive is not a guarantee of quality!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    I love mods. But the brand I carry has great support. And I have been thru all the training and know what I need to know on how they work. Also a mod really does need to have the companion wall control as it works so much better than allowing the board to modulate. Also the companion wall control allows for quick inspection of any failures or intermittent faults that may not happen when your there in front of it.

But as stated 150% here, the quality and durability of your system rests upon the shoulders of the contractor that put it in.
    Find the best hvac contractor that is the most knowledgeable that does everything by the book and get the best system you can afford from that contractor.

I have read many posts from you over many years, sorry your local contractors have let you down.

Knowledgeable contractors such as the ones on this site can be a needle in a hay stack, when you find one: keep him, recommend him highly to others, never stop maintaining a good relationship with him.

J