Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

How to know if my Heat Pump has Aux or Emergency Heat setting?

Hello-

Our heat pump seems to be using an insane amount of electricity. The thermostat only shows the options for: Heat, Cool, Off.

I am wondering if perhaps it is running in Emergency/Aux mode and the thermostat is not properly programmed to be able to tell us it is in that mode.

I am thinking this because found this other thread where someone thought the same thing. The title of that thread is Thread: No emergency heat option on heat pump thermostat: (I tried to post the URL to this thread, but it would not let me)

The only problem is that we don't know the model of our heat pump. It is on the roof so not easily accessible, but I do have this image from a prior home inspection.

Does anyone know what model this heat pump is, and *more importantly* if that model contains an Emergency/Aux setting? From a little research, it seems like almost all heat pumps do have this option, unless you are in a warm state like Florida. Our home is in the Mojave desert in California (where it gets pretty cold in winter).

If I know that my model has the capability for Emergency/Aux, then I can call someone out to re-program the thermostat.

I can't see a serial number but the barcodes on the bottom say:
    PHD330000K000C1
    and C121912247

It seems like this might be an ICP heat pump, from googling, but I still can't figure out which one and if it has an E mode or not.

Name:  heat pump copy.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  92.3 KB

Post Likes
    "Accessory heater model" would be the heat strips. How many giant rated 2 pole breakers do you have installed?

Post Likes
    Whoever installed this didnt mark which heat strip package was installed...
    The thermostat should have the mode setting for aux or emergency control.
    I would find out the thermostat model and call the manufacturer for assistance.
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...

Find a HVAC-Talk Contractor by clicking here

Click below to BECOME a pro member
    https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/forumdispl...ip-Information

Do you go to a boat repairman with a sinking boat, and tell him to put in a bigger motor when he tells you to fix the holes?

I am yourmrfixit

Post Likes
    vstech- thanks, I'll try that, too! It's a basic honeywell thermostat.

Looks like possibly this one: Honeywell TH5110D1006 Honeywell Non-Programmable Thermostat

Name:  IMG_2174 2.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  41.1 KB

Post Likes
    Thanks for the reply!
    It's a (old 1950's era) 50 amp panel, with a sub-panel. That sub panel has I think just one 2-pole breaker and possibly another single, which is what runs up to the roof and heat pump.

Post Likes
    An inspection of the breaker for the unit might give you a clue.

Assuming you have 230V service not 208V.

If the breaker is a 30Amp, 230V, 2 pole breaker, then you don’t have heat strips that are on with the heat pump. If even one 5kW strip was running with the heat pump compressor, condenser fan motor and indoor blower motor, the current would be in excess of the breaker’s rating, and the breaker should trip on overload.

If you have a 60 Amp breaker, then you might or might not have an electric strip. All too often installers do not properly match the breaker size with the nameplate maximum over current device rating.

Without electric heat, your unit should have a 30Amp, 35Amp or a 40Amp breaker.

Your best course of action is to call a reliable contractor to inspect your system.
    It's an upside down world we live in.

Post Likes
    Thank you! Just looked upon arriving back. The subpanel is 60amp! It has a 2pole with 20 & 20, and then another single 20.

Post Likes
    Do you have an electric hot water tank? Dryer? Stove?

Post Likes
    I also just learned from some research that the model of thermostat I believe we have does not even have a terminal for Emergency/Aux. So perhaps that is an issue as well?

I don't know expected behavior if a heatpump:
    - has coils/strips for aux/emergency heating , BUT ALSO
    - has a thermostat installed without terminals to support aux/emergency heat

Does it run on Aux/emergency more often? Does it not? Do you just never know because the thermostat won't tell you? I guess calling someone is a good idea

Name:  honeywell.png
Views: 199
Size:  99.9 KB

Post Likes
    Gas water heater. Gas stove, but it's not currently hooked up - line was leaking so we capped it, since we are remodeling kitchen anyway. No other appliances other than a fridge. No microwave, no washer/dryer...nada.

Since there is pretty much only the heat pump and the fridge using electrical (and minimal electricity for lights and outlets) that's where my theory came from that something is wrong.

Post Likes
    with that many 240 volt breakers, plus all the gas appliances, it leads me to believe you do have heat strips and they are ON. Due to site rules we can only tell you to call a qualified tech to verify that there are or arent. We cant get into how to check (DIY).

Post Likes
    I completely understand! I'm not going on the roof to do so anyway. This has been super helpful, and I am glad to know more reliably what the issue may be, when I call.

THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!! So much!

13. Likes HVAC_Marc liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Did you pop off the thermostat off the subbase to confirm which thermostat you have as in post #4 you say "looks like this one "

Certainly you could have the TH522 which I believe looks the same as the one you mentioned.

If you have the 2 stage heat/cool stat then it's possible your Heat Pump failed and your bouncing off the 2nd stage electric heat. Do you notice your blower fan constantly running and for the most part never shuts off? If so it could be due to your 1st stage never being able to satisfy due to the HP not working your blower fan continues to just circulate room Air.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast