Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

condensate drain into stone?

My hvac company said instead of a pump I should just pipe 3/4 in pipe under the slab and into the stone below the concrete floor before the floor is poured. Is this a good idea or bad? They said it will have no problem seeping into the 9 inches thick of stone and it would eliminate having to put a pump in for the ac condensate drain. Also was thinking the same for the heat pump water heater also.

Any ideas?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by NateTheGreat848 View Post
    My hvac company said instead of a pump I should just pipe 3/4 in pipe under the slab and into the stone below the concrete floor before the floor is poured. Is this a good idea or bad? They said it will have no problem seeping into the 9 inches thick of stone and it would eliminate having to put a pump in for the ac condensate drain. Also was thinking the same for the heat pump water heater also.

Any ideas?
    That condensate should be treated. It is HIGHLY acidic. Dont believe this contractor!

Post Likes
    I'd put a 1" or 1.5" pipe under the slab going to the pump/sump/crock or out to the exterior drain tiles if you dont have that. It's very common here (Buffalo,NY) to put the waste under a slab. It's pretty acidic waste water but our substrate neutralizes it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    I'd put a 1" or 1.5" pipe under the slab going to the pump/sump/crock or out to the exterior drain tiles if you dont have that. It's very common here (Buffalo,NY) to put the waste under a slab. It's pretty acidic waste water but our substrate neutralizes it.
    agreed.
    I talked to an geological engineer about it once.
    Told me that by the time that would cause an issue, we would be long gone. He actually preferred it over dumping into his cast iron waste lines.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

5. Likes HVAC_Marc liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I have a picture someplace of a concrete floor where only AC condensate was put across it for 6" or so to a floor drain. It ate a notch into the floor. Imagine what an acid would do, or to the metal of the pipe

the biggest problem Ive seen under the slab is that sometimes goo/broken down rock will clog up the water flow exits.

Post Likes
    So it sounds like more yes ok and no dont do it. Should I run a drain also for a heat pump water heater or will that produce to much water to handle draining into the stone?

Post Likes
    It'll be fine.

Do be away, a heat pump water heater will remove the heat from your basement. The furnace will have to make up for that loss. You will be no further ahead in your monies saved.

Post Likes
    It'll be fine.

Do be away, a heat pump water heater will remove the heat from your basement. The furnace will have to make up for that loss. You will be no further ahead in your monies saved.
    It was going to be a unfinished basement and the ceilings insulated but thanks for the heads up. Everything in the house will be electric.

Post Likes
    the heat pump moves heat from a warm area to cold. in this case - from your basement to the water (even when the water is hotter than ambient air).

your basement will be VERY cold (maybe very damp, too, because of it)

Post Likes
    the heat pump moves heat from a warm area to cold. in this case - from your basement to the water (even when the water is hotter than ambient air).

your basement will be VERY cold (maybe very damp, too, because of it)
    what would you said VERY cold is if you had to guess? 50F, 40F 35F

Post Likes
    what would you said VERY cold is if you had to guess? 50F, 40F 35F
    Below freezing so not good!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Below freezing so not good!
    Really you think it would be below freezing? Where do people put the heat pump water heaters then?

Post Likes
    Really you think it would be below freezing? Where do people put the heat pump water heaters then?
    Outside!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast