+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Elbow on condenser question....

Post Likes

Elbow on condenser question....

Long story short I have to install a condenser under a deck that is 66 inches. No way to move out from under deck. How would I go about sizing duct elbow for this? What should I do to make it easier for unit to be serviced?

Do I go by outside size of lid? Square inches of fan blade housing? Sale man wanted 3 side metal to push air away. Service manager heard about it and said no to all of it. Find a way to move it out from under.(before I went to jobsite) i dont like the idea but in this case dont have any other option to push heat away.

Post Likes
    ive heard of these and seen pictures... ive also seen where the deck was cut out and steel grating was put in the space above the condenser so the air can blow straight up.
    Nest is POO!!

3. Likes lions_lair liked this post.
    Post Likes
    What about just using a horizontal discharge condenser instead?

5. Likes FreeThrowGuy liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Seen those on condos when i was on vacation. Didnt look the best but they had to blow away so I guess it worked but I didnt look that close.

I dont know much about units like that. This is going to be 5 ton 16 seer carrier unit. Don't think its infinity or green speed but will find out more tomorrow. They had no heat and 45 in house so I was focused on that part today mainly.

Post Likes
    I think carrier makes a side discharge unit. but i dont know how big it goes

edit - they do make a 5 ton, but it's only 14 seer

https://www.carrierenterprise.com/24...-1426278595300
    Nest is POO!!

Post Likes
    So is the existing one in this same death trap ?

Post Likes
    Since the condenser fan is not designed to work against static pressure. You ain't gonna get 16 SEER ducting its discharge. Better off with a 14 SEER side discharge condenser.

Post Likes
    Sounded to me like they already bought the unit.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilg0re View Post
    Long story short I have to install a condenser under a deck that is 66 inches. No way to move out from under deck. How would I go about sizing duct elbow for this? What should I do to make it easier for unit to be serviced?

Do I go by outside size of lid? Square inches of fan blade housing? Sale man wanted 3 side metal to push air away. Service manager heard about it and said no to all of it. Find a way to move it out from under.(before I went to jobsite) i dont like the idea but in this case dont have any other option to push heat away.
    No you don't......The IOM wants X normally 36" clearance above the unit so state it. If they wont budge.
    a) Get it in writing that it is a wrong as per the manufacture and theres No Warranty
    b) Walk Away

I say B let someone else deal with the headache!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    No you don't......The IOM wants X normally 36" clearance above the unit so state it. If they wont budge.
    a) Get it in writing that it is a wrong as per the manufacture and theres No Warranty
    b) Walk Away

I say B let someone else deal with the headache!
    Could you email that to the brilliant salesman !

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    Could you email that to the brilliant salesman !
    Beat him senseless!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Beat him senseless!
    Or beat some sense into him !

Post Likes
    Set it on top of the deck.

One time I saw the HO cut out the area directly above the condensing unit, and made a combination railing & table top directly above to provide adeqaute air flow

Sounds like you are stuck in the middle, I'd tell the service manager can't be moved and do what he says, just document in your comments on the work order.

Good Luck

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in