Thread: radiant floor heating options

Post Likes

radiant floor heating options

I have a detached 24x36 workshop with R-19 walls, R-38 ceiling, and Slab shield under the concrete R-3?. I had an outdoor wood boiler heating it, but I am getting rid of that due to age and am looking for help in how I should heat the Radiant tubes (kitec). 4 loops between 200 and 250 ft. I currently don't have natural gas running to my shop and only have electric running in there. I have been told I am around a 27k load. Options are running a gas line or using electric and using a water heater or boiler. It looks like most people on here choose boilers. Any help with types and brands would be appreciated. Sorry if I'm not using the correct terms I'm not in the heating fields. Thanks

Post Likes
    Although your loss may be 27K, I'm a little concerned about R3 in the slab. You're losing alot to the ground.
    If you're only doing the workshop, and no snow melt, and you never shut it down, you probably don't need glycol.
    Electric would be bad, a water heater awful, gas or propane would be better. I'd run a gas line and get the smallest properly matched gas boiler you can find. Properly install it with low return water protection.
    If I do a job in 30 minutes it's because I spent 30 years learning how to do that in 30 minutes. You owe me for the years, not the minutes.

Helpful Calcs, tips, tricks on my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgm...TUTAdKmqRiTDEg

Post Likes
    my bigger concern is that kitec has been recalled. you may be better top jack up the floor and replace everything. what good is it to put in a nice new expensive system when the piping will allow it to die so quickly?
    Nest is POO!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC_Marc View Post
    my bigger concern is that kitec has been recalled. you may be better top jack up the floor and replace everything. what good is it to put in a nice new expensive system when the piping will allow it to die so quickly?
    I don't have the money to rip the concrete out and start new. I really like the radiant floor heat though. Are there fixes to this short of ripping out the concrete? If not what would you suggest for heat? A hot dawg style garage heater?

I had no idea about the kitec recall thanks for the info

Post Likes
    From what you described the best you could hope for is taking the chill off the floor.

A forced air hot water coil is needed!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanwisconsin View Post
    I don't have the money to rip the concrete out and start new. I really like the radiant floor heat though. Are there fixes to this short of ripping out the concrete? If not what would you suggest for heat? A hot dawg style garage heater?

I had no idea about the kitec recall thanks for the info
    there's no fix for the floor other than take it out. you could use an overhead heater such as a hotdawg, yes, but they are far from efficient. you could use the same style of heater but off the boiler as a fan coil.
    Nest is POO!!

Post Likes
    Company named Seisco made modulating instant electric water heaters. Used a pot load of them on radiant floors where natural gas was not available. Worked sweet. A. O. Smith bought them out a while back and have what looks to be a similar unit. Might want to check it out.

Post Likes
    I currently heat that shop with an outdoor woodboiler that heats the house too. I have never had a problem with the heat keeping up in he shop i usually set the temp for 55 and bump it up to 65 every once in awhile. Are you saying I will have a problem because I would be using a different type of boiler. I'm leaning towards natural gas. My heat guy is saying an AO smith ATI 110 tankless heater, but it seems alot of people are saying go with a boiler?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in