Post Likes

Payne,,, Literally

Older Payne R 22 Heat Pump,,, I know the answer but hate changing service valves so i'm going to ask,,,,,, here's the background story,,,pumped down the system to do a coil repair indoor unit, did the purge while repair, triple evac because it was not the best weather, cant tell if this problem existed before but in heat mode from the liquid line service valve into the unit it freezes up, just like the outdoor coil, only about half the valve. sounds like a restriction in the valve to me, how about you guys? I have to say I have never had a service valve plug before.
    Opened it and closed it a couple times, reversed the RV valve a few times to see if it would free up. new drier filter while it was pumped down. yes bi directional.

Have you guys seen a service valve plug? I can see if it had a chunk of crap in it but it shuts off tight still and opens fine,,,, did I mention I hate changing service valves??

Post Likes
    You do realize the piston metering device is located at the service valve for heating mode on Carrier brand units right?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CDHCR View Post
    Have you guys seen a service valve plug? I can see if it had a chunk of crap in it but it shuts off tight still and opens fine....
    I emailed you a pdf on Carrier Heat Pump Service Valves.
    Instead of learning the tricks of the trade, learn the trade.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rundawg View Post
    I emailed you a pdf on Carrier Heat Pump Service Valves.
    Hi Run!
    Appreciate the diagram, I should have clarified that this unit has what I call a regular valve, the metering device is inside the condenser cabinet like a nordyne system, interesting but true. It works as it should and because of its age I have finally convinced them that if any other problems arise it’s just not worth throwing money at. I am going to pull the valve after it gets changed out to satisfy my curiosity lol I may post the results with pictures if this thread isn’t ancient by then!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I have a tech who ran across the same problem, pretty sure it was a Carrier. He replaced the service valve with metering valve and all the conditions remained the same.

I'm guessing now it has to do with whatever type of check valve is used at the air handler.
    If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    I have a tech who ran across the same problem, pretty sure it was a Carrier. He replaced the service valve with metering valve and all the conditions remained the same.

I'm guessing now it has to do with whatever type of check valve is used at the air handler.
    This thing is working fine, I’m leaving it alone lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk