Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Just had new heating/cooling installed. Paranoid they didnt wire thermostat correctly

I just bought my first home about a month ago. Our inspector let us know the gas furnace and AC unit were both original (23 years old) and could die any time.

Well, the furnace died about a week ago. I was luckily already in the process of getting estimates so I was able to get a crew in to replace them quickly. They were installed last thursday. I went from an old single stage to a Rheem 96% 2 stage furnace and 16 seer AC.

About 2 weeks before the system died I bought and installed a new NEST E thermostat. It was very easy. The only wires I had were Y1, G, R, W1.

Since the furnace was installed a few days ago I have noticed that it has literally never run on just the first stage. You can tell by looking through the window on the bottom at the screen that displaces letters or numbers corresponding to different actions. First stage should be a lowercase h and second is a capital H. It is always being called to the 2nd stage. This seems off to me.

By the looks of it, the thermostat was literally never touched. The wires are still arranged exactly as I put them and there is no way any of them have been touched since.

I feel like switching from a single stage to a two stage should have required different wiring? Or is that wrong completely? I dont want the 2 stage system I paid extra for running as if it is a 1 stage.

Am I just completely paranoid, or should someone have made some kind of change to the thermostat wiring in order to support the new system?

Thank you

Post Likes
    They probably set it to time to second stage. Should have wired the thermostat to control staging. But they probably didn't want to pull the additional wires to the stat.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    They probably set it to time to second stage. Should have wired the thermostat to control staging. But they probably didn't want to pull the additional wires to the stat.
    Is this a less than ideal way for it to operate? Should I try to have them come back and wire it to actually operate the stages with the thermostat?

Post Likes
    Did the installing contractor say anything about needing extra wires?

Post Likes
    Is your Nest thermostat compatible with 2 stg? Did you tell the installing Co. you wanted to keep the Nest thermostat?

If the Nest is not 2 stg compatible then you would need a different thermostat and more wires to make it work. If the Nest is compatible then they need to run more wire.

Post Likes
    You would need the Nest pro, but would also require a extra wire. I would call the installing contractor and explain your concerns should be a easy resolution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    You can run the furnace beautifully on 4 wires with Rheem's Econet or Econet WiFi communicating controls and not have a timer spoiling the comfort of the 2 stage furnace.

Post Likes
    The Nest is POO.

Get rid of it and get a thermostat that can control your staged unit to the best efficiency possible. OEM, Honeywell, Ecobee are often very good choices.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisjc View Post
    You would need the Nest pro,
    Pro, Poo...not too many letters apart... weird, that...

10. Likes icy78 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Nest E does not do 2 stage equipment.

Call your installer back.

You need more wires too.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Find your local HVAC-Talk Contractor: http://hvac-talk.com/aop

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by joemach View Post
    Nest E does not do 2 stage equipment.

Call your installer back.

You need more wires too.
    WAG

The furnace is oversized and may only need 1st Stage!!!

Post Likes
    This is how you fix this problem.

Make sure you pay absolute attention to every detail I am about to tell you.

Step 1
    Remove nest tstat from the wall

Step 2
    Through it in the trash

Step 3
    Call installing company back and have them run a new wire and install a proper 2 stage tstat

Step 4
    Enjoy your properly functioning 2 stage system

BTW this is something your installing company should have caught at the time of sale or the time of install.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathpunch0311 View Post
    BTW this is something your installing company should have caught at the time of sale or the time of install.
    But but but... it's a NEST! It's energy saving, easy to use, and looks pretty....and and and a selling point!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast