Post Likes

Old recovery tanjs

I got three old recovery tanks from a school that was going to toss them in the dumpster. One is tagged r 11 and has hardly anything in it. One has most likely about half a tanks worth of R22 and the third nobody has any info, but it seems light again maybe a few pounds but mostly empty. I called my most used supply house and was upfront about what I had and he said don't bring it here.

I know I can put a gauge and a thermometer on it and be fairly sure what's in it if I check at a few temps. But I honestly don't know the most responsible way to handle these things. Even more so if I check pressure and temp at a few temps and then say " hmm seems like a mix" then I have no idea how to handle it. I don't even mind paying a fee for proper disposal I will charge the school. I just assumed my local supplier would handle.

Thanks all.

Post Likes
    Pump all the stuff into one tank. tell the supply house it's whatever refrigerant it's closest to in temp/pressure. keep the other tanks evacuated and use them for other stuff.

Im through being forward with supply houses since they've thrown out the loyalty and honesty for profits.

3. Likes Metalman0880 liked this post
    Post Likes
    I bring in mixes on occasion. Never had a problem with it, and was honest about it. Perhaps try a different supply house, or find a counter staff that knows how to work the system on their end better. The only thing they want to see in my area is that the jug is full or close to it. They don’t like sending back partially filled cylinders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quickly, I must hurry, for there go my people and I am their leader!

Post Likes
    Around here, they will only take back full or nearly full 125# tanks or larger. If it’s R22, you could probably use that easy enough. For the rest, mix it, send it back and bill the customer.
    Don't step on my favorite part of the Constitution just to point out your favorite part.

Political Correctness is forced on you because you have forgotten decency.

Technically speaking, they are all heat pumps.

Post Likes
    You could get smaller tanks to transfer the refrigerant to if you wanted to swap the 125lb tanks out with fresh ones.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Post Likes

8. Likes shellkamp, HVAC_Marc liked this post
    Post Likes
    DNR

Good Job Stopping them from just throwing them away, but you may have bought yourself a small headeache to get rid of them. Do you or the school have an EPA license? Has the DOT Tank Test dates expired?

In looking at your Profile (Facility Manager) and reading wha you have written you sound somewhat knowledgable but this discussion should have probably been up in the AOP Commercial section not in Commercial Tech to Tech .

Good Luck