+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crawl space dehumidifier without vapor barrier?

Post Likes
    I did a “poor man” crawl space seal under my house about five years ago.

House is about fifty years old. Vapor barrier on the crawl floor was in bad shape. Vents all open and everything sweating.

I just laid fairly thick plastic on the floor. Didn’t tape seams just overlapped a few feet. Went to the masonry foundation walls, not up the walls. I had vents that automatically opened when it was warm. I just put a piece of light ga metal over them. Started out with a Lowe’s el cheapo dehumidifier someone gave me. It really worked great, solved the problem. After a year I bought a better dehum like the ones tb reps.

Sealing up the foundation walls would save a little power as the unit would run less. The floor plan of my house juts around and it was going to be a pita to really do a good job on the walls.

I wish I had used plexy glass to seal the vents instead of metal, to let a little natural light in.

Post Likes
    UPDATE:

I was able to get my crawl space encapsulated (foundation vents sealed and vapor barrier installed) and dehumidifier (Aprilaire 1830) installed. The dehumidifier read 78% when I started in on the morning of 4/6. It currently read 52% but it's been running nonstop for over 2 days. The crawl space is around 1200 sq ft with a height of 18-24". Should I be concerned that it's been running for over 2 days now? It went from 78% to 58% after 1 day. It went from 58% on 4/7 to 52% this afternoon on 4/8. I'm using an Aprilaire 76 control unit with it and I have it set to 5 (if that means anything to any of you). It looks like this setting relies on the temp and %RH to determine when it will start/stop running. The temp in the crawl space has been between 65 and 70 degrees for the past few days according to another sensor I have down there. I was mostly curious if running for this long is the norm or not.

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    It's not something that I would worry about. Don't forget - that reading you are seeing is the RH % of the AIR in the crawlspace - not the floor. The now drier air is still drawing the moisture out of the floor and walls and ceiling of the space.

I would let it run for a week or two before I would look into judging the results.

PHM
    ----------

Quote Originally Posted by brock125 View Post
    UPDATE:

I was able to get my crawl space encapsulated (foundation vents sealed and vapor barrier installed) and dehumidifier (Aprilaire 1830) installed. The dehumidifier read 78% when I started in on the morning of 4/6. It currently read 52% but it's been running nonstop for over 2 days. The crawl space is around 1200 sq ft with a height of 18-24". Should I be concerned that it's been running for over 2 days now? It went from 78% to 58% after 1 day. It went from 58% on 4/7 to 52% this afternoon on 4/8. I'm using an Aprilaire 76 control unit with it and I have it set to 5 (if that means anything to any of you). It looks like this setting relies on the temp and %RH to determine when it will start/stop running. The temp in the crawl space has been between 65 and 70 degrees for the past few days according to another sensor I have down there. I was mostly curious if running for this long is the norm or not.
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    How sealed is the floor of the house ?

Post Likes
    To confirm that the dehu is functioning, measure the condensate from the dehu for an hour. Your unit should remove 2-3 lbs./pints per hour.
    Also measure the temp/%RH of the dehu supply verses the air going into the return. This will confirm the amount of moisture being removed by comparing the dew point in and out.
    As others pointed out, any air from the home passing through the crawlspace will benefit from the dehumidifier.
    It takes a couple weeks to dry down the materials in the crawlspace. During windy damp weather, the dehu may run 50%-75% of the time. After dry down and when the outdoor dew points are below the dew point desired in the crawlspace, the dehu should run much less.
    A 68^F, 50%RH crawlspace is 49^F. Consider that outside vary from 60^F-75^F. During cold weather, the outdoor dew is much lower, usually equal to the evening low temperatures, but the crawlspace is cooler and may still have a small dehumidifier load.
    Someday when the dehu fails consider the Santa Fe Compact, my favorite. The unit you have should be large enough to do the job. Keeping your crawlspace dry will help keep your home dry!

Keep us posted.
    Regards Teddy Bear
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by servicefitter View Post
    How sealed is the floor of the house ?
    I’m not exactly sure. It has the original hardwood floors or at least that’s how it appears.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by teddy bear View Post
    To confirm that the dehu is functioning, measure the condensate from the dehu for an hour. Your unit should remove 2-3 lbs./pints per hour.
    Also measure the temp/%RH of the dehu supply verses the air going into the return. This will confirm the amount of moisture being removed by comparing the dew point in and out.
    As others pointed out, any air from the home passing through the crawlspace will benefit from the dehumidifier.
    It takes a couple weeks to dry down the materials in the crawlspace. During windy damp weather, the dehu may run 50%-75% of the time. After dry down and when the outdoor dew points are below the dew point desired in the crawlspace, the dehu should run much less.
    A 68^F, 50%RH crawlspace is 49^F. Consider that outside vary from 60^F-75^F. During cold weather, the outdoor dew is much lower, usually equal to the evening low temperatures, but the crawlspace is cooler and may still have a small dehumidifier load.
    Someday when the dehu fails consider the Santa Fe Compact, my favorite. The unit you have should be large enough to do the job. Keeping your crawlspace dry will help keep your home dry!

Keep us posted.
    Regards Teddy Bear
    Thanks for all of this info. You mention the Santa Fe Compact but do you have any experience with the Aprilaire units? If so? What do you think of them?

Post Likes
    The SanteFe's are more like Mercedes...
    Other brands are Fords and Chevy's...
    Grin!

One gets what they pay for.

Above all... avoid the big box store portables... they are junk, do not work well, use too much electricity, and rarely last more than 2-3-4 years.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    The dehu you have should do the job if it is functioning properly. Measure the condensate output for an hour along with the temp/%RH of input and output. Expect 2- 3 lbs. per hour of condensate. If less, the unit may need service.
    As long as it functions, I would use it. When it comes time for replacement, consider the Santa Fe.
    Keep us posted.
    Regards Teddy Bear
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy

Post Likes
    Are santa fe dehumidifiers really that good? Mine Crane was working for 5 years but I accidentally broke it one week ago, but it seemed sometimes that it's not that warm as it could be

Post Likes
    The Santa Fe may be more dehumidifier than you need. Tell us about what you are trying to do and in what part of God's Green Earth you are in>
    Regards Teddy Bear

Post Likes
    I am a retired engineer visiting a friend of mine in Siberia. We are building a blockhouse of solid wood so I am looking for a powerful dehumidifier to keep the construction dry. For sure we will insulate the walls, floor etc. I still feel something like fust, though, and would like to help him avoid this in future

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in