Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    I don't know if that thing is ok or not. The incoming gas piping certainly could use some supports, that yellow hose probably isn't good enough, and it appears to be missing it's low pressure gas regulator that I think it's supposed to have.

I just wanted to point out though that lots of cooking equipment is still made today without thermocouples or other safety devices. Things like stoves and grills and griddles and wok burners, etc. Probably things with the burners on top now that I think about it, since most ranges I see have no safety's for the top burners but they do have a thermocouple for the oven part.

Like I said, I don't know if that thing is OK or not (probably not because of the lack of certifications), but not having safety's doesn't automatically mean its wrong.
    If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Is Not for You.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ammoniadog View Post
    I don't know if that thing is ok or not. The incoming gas piping certainly could use some supports, that yellow hose probably isn't good enough, and it appears to be missing it's low pressure gas regulator that I think it's supposed to have.

I just wanted to point out though that lots of cooking equipment is still made today without thermocouples or other safety devices. Things like stoves and grills and griddles and wok burners, etc. Probably things with the burners on top now that I think about it, since most ranges I see have no safety's for the top burners but they do have a thermocouple for the oven part.

Like I said, I don't know if that thing is OK or not (probably not because of the lack of certifications), but not having safety's doesn't automatically mean its wrong.
    Interesting to hear this, because that's why I posted - I'm not a kitchen tech so I don't know what the state-of-the-art is. It just seems absurd to me since I only work on sealed combustion appliances.
    The guy that installed the gas line claims that the flex hose has some sort of excess flow valve built-in which I very much doubt. The line is regulated at a main regulator, but the main is set for 12.5" not the usual 11" or so.

Post Likes
    I don't usually deal with propane, but as far as I know all cooking equipment needs some type of additional regulator to bring the gas pressure down to the proper manifold pressure (which is usually 3-1/2" W.C. for natural gas).

Some units have a combination gas valve inside that have a built in regulator, so they are fine, but the stuff with no thermocouples usually need an "inches to inches" regulator installed externally.
    If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Is Not for You.

4. Likes rjk_cmh liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rjk_cmh View Post
    Interesting to hear this, because that's why I posted - I'm not a kitchen tech so I don't know what the state-of-the-art is. It just seems absurd to me since I only work on sealed combustion appliances.
    The guy that installed the gas line claims that the flex hose has some sort of excess flow valve built-in which I very much doubt. The line is regulated at a main regulator, but the main is set for 12.5" not the usual 11" or so.
    Thats a standard flex gas connector for a residence same as the steam table itself. Not allowed in a commercial kitchen....

If someone pulls that table out the gas line is not secured and may break....Not allowed.

Flexible connectors on kit equipment then the equipment gets cables or chains limiting how far they can be pulled out!

6. Likes rjk_cmh liked this post
    Post Likes
    Maby so but could have done a better cleaner job on the welds this thing reeks of cheap china pride knock off of the real unit made some whare else

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pctech View Post
    Maby so but could have done a better cleaner job on the welds this thing reeks of cheap china pride knock off of the real unit made some whare else
    Hell......That costs money!

You get what you pay for!!!

9. Likes rjk_cmh liked this post
    Post Likes
    Some new griddles are manufactured with certification and only having adjustable pilots. They do sit under a commercial hood though. Even with the hood off there's still a draft.
    Read the bottom line in the instructions. This is from the Star Manufactureing instructions. Built in Smithville TN.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by VTP99; 02-13-2019 at 11:14 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12