Thread: Worst diy job.

Post Likes

Worst diy job.

Just wondering about the worst diy job. Is it as bad as here ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Did you mean to attache a photo?

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    Tough challenge to top IMO, as the wall of shame outnumbers the wall of pride here 3 to 1 and there is many years of them here...Go figure, I'd guess a fair amount of them outlast wall of pride jobs....just cause they look crappy on the outside does not mean they are crappy internally..

Post Likes
    Just had a guy that welded his gas furnace burners in. Flame couldn’t travel down rail and boom, just my eyebrows. He never said a word to me about working on it. He said they were loose and he works in a machine shop. Seriously!!! I was pissed. Did I mention, it was only 1yr old.
    Another guy bought his own blower motor. After 3 days of working on it, he finally smokes the motor. Then he calls for service. Get there to find he had removed the blower housing the hard way, instead of removing the 2 screws holding it in and slide it out. Also he thought it was a good idea to take a hammer to the new shaft. Took me an hour to repair the housing and put new motor in. Took all of 5 min to install back into AH. He said “how did you do that?” I said extensive training and many years of experience. So instead of it costing x amount, it cost him XXXXX amount. Is it the YouTube effect? You guys see a lot of this kinda stuff?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I see more and more h/o's (just look at here and HH.com) trying to fix their own stuff, much to their own dismay and frustration (and a lot of parts changing).
    I'm starting to scale back on helping them. The best help is to get a qualified, competent tech. I'm tired of their argument that they can't find competent techs. I do believe there are a lot of incompetent techs, but mostly I feel these h/o's are just cheapskates and are starting to become accustomed to youTube and internet instant fixes.
    It's a complete disrespect of the trade.
    They wouldn't do that to their doctors. In fact most people trust doctor's so much they refuse a second opinion on major (and even minor issues), yet they'll take any stupid opinion they find online, then want to argue with professionals trying to help.

When I come across a H/O with too much desire for hands on, I nicely explain to them only one person can fix their equipment-either them or me, not both.
    Both becomes very expensive to them and potential dangerous to me. Usual case is with oil and someone who hit the reset a gazillion times and flooded the oil chamber. I have on more than one occasion, fired it up with the inspection door open and let it shoot a flame and smoke up the house. They never do it again.

Luckily working for yourself helps alleviate many of these conditions as I can just walk away. Although I never seem to get thanked for straightening them out from the next company
    Uh...Google it yourself!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazooka Joey View Post
    Tough challenge to top IMO, as the wall of shame outnumbers the wall of pride here 3 to 1 and there is many years of them here...Go figure, I'd guess a fair amount of them outlast wall of pride jobs....just cause they look crappy on the outside does not mean they are crappy internally..
    Oh I think if everyone took pictures, the Wall of Shame would outnumber 20-1. I've rarely seen great jobs I'd take a picture of. With The Wall of Pride is nice to see some top craftsmen who take pride in their work and share.

Keep in mind, rarely does any h/o post about what great service they received, and I'm sure a high percentage do get good quality work and repairs. Human nature is they just post when they are unhappy.
    Uh...Google it yourself!