+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Moving to Seattle area

Post Likes
    I can't answer your question about the area but I can offer advice. When looking up wages online, they will be all over the place. The range is from apprentice/helper to senior techs. Obviously, as you know, it's hard to feel out the market. I suggest calling around, now. If you're well spoken and have a plan before making the calls, you'll peak their interest and even possibly wait for you to move. Make a list of what you do, strong points, equipment you usually work on, etc. The faster you answer their questions, the better you'll sound. Also, have a list for them, usual stuff like health insurance, pay, hours, on call, etc. The more proactive you are, the better the results. You've got enough experience to jump into an entry/mid level commercial position, don't count that out!
    -----Stop, step back, relax and have another go at it.-----

Post Likes
    Well, that's a question with a few answers. I am in Portland, and it is easy..... if you have a job here with a non union shop. I can give you the contact name and numbers for our union, and maybe they can hook you up with their counterparts in seattle.
    I started in washington, and moved to Oregon. No reciprocity oregon to Washington, which doubles my license cost.
    I will give you a heads up, seattle and portland are both very political cities, with many different and often opposing viewpoints. Just like any place you have good people though.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I believe that Serviceman pay is 80% of SJ - on the high end. Approximately $42/Hr. A contractor may expect some good Light Commercial experience, CRAC, Boxcar Units, Scroll and Recip. Chillers, etc. If you have never been in a Union, an NSMA/National Sig can test drive you as a PSE.

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Call our local 32 union or see if on the website if they have a contractor list. Then start e mailing them or phone them, I currently work as a facility union j-man at full scale and from what i hear all parts of our local is busy. I will ask my shop steward next week if he knows who might be lookin , he is always at the hall.
    UA Local 32 retired as of Jan 2020

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Adlerberts-Protege View Post
    There is a serious lack of tolerance in that crap-hole city. No one looks up and says hello and they all think everyone is out to get them, same as here in Portland. If you are liberal and a member of their cult you will do just fine.
    I’ve never been there and have no desire to, but if I was this would be important information I would think. Oh and core that’s funny sh@t
    Honeywell you can buy better but you cant pay more

I told my wife when i die to sell my fishing stuff for what its worth not what i told her i paid for it

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by crazzycajun View Post
    I’ve never been there and have no desire to, but if I was this would be important information I would think. Oh and core that’s funny sh@t
    It is important. Cant even step outside without the liberal cult insulting your every move. Important because these people will be your customers. Untrusting and paranoid about anything or anyone that doesnt fit their ridiculous narrative.

7. Likes lions_lair liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Wow, this how you guys walk around all day, this one's a liberal, this one isn't? Who does that all day long. I just walk out of my house and see people, people from all types of political backgrounds and beliefs, from all types of different pasts. I think the issue is you and your head.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

9. Likes valdelocc liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVACannoyed View Post
    I just walk out of my house and see people, people from all types of political backgrounds and beliefs, from all types of different pasts.
    Spare us your phony moral superiority....you up voted a guy who portrays people with a conservative perspective as clansmen.

You own it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by btuhack View Post
    Spare us your phony moral superiority....you up voted a guy who portrays people with a conservative perspective as clansmen.

You own it.
    What in the holy hell are you talking about? Where exactly in my post did I indicate who I voted for? All I'm saying is if you are walking out of your house questioning who is a liberal or conservative there is something wrong with you and probably wrong 90% of the time. Never judge a book by the cover.

Post Likes
    What in the holy hell are you talking about? Where exactly in my post did I indicate who I voted for? All I'm saying is if you are walking out of your house questioning who is a liberal or conservative there is something wrong with you and probably wrong 90% of the time. Never judge a book by the cover.

Post 13, the one calling a longtime forum member a clansman, got one up vote...by you. Was that you that clicked "like" or did your cat walk across your keyboard?

Post Likes
    Post 13, the one calling a longtime forum member a clansman, got one up vote...by you. Was that you that clicked "like" or did your cat walk across your keyboard?
    Are you insane? Checking on who liked posts? Hey stalker relax. I up voted because I had seen post after post of nonsense about a guy looking for a job in Seattle. You guys really are nuts. Also where did I indicate who I voted for?

Post Likes
    Are you insane? Checking on who liked posts? Hey stalker relax. I up voted because I had seen post after post of nonsense about a guy looking for a job in Seattle. You guys really are nuts. Also where did I indicate who I voted for?

Okay, play dumb.

Post Likes
    Okay, play dumb.
    Play dumb, how? What are talking about stalker. Jesus you other are freaking nuts.

Post Likes
    Well, there's strike one on ya. It's likely Adlebert's comment on liberals is more real than you can possibly imagine.

Wow a fine and well thought out statement. I hope you didn't hurt yourself coming up with that one all-star.

I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    Yeah, my mom and her family is/was from the Seattle area. An area with a very strange value system.

Quote Originally Posted by Adlerberts-Protege View Post
    It is important. Cant even step outside without the liberal cult insulting your every move. Important because these people will be your customers. Untrusting and paranoid about anything or anyone that doesnt fit their ridiculous narrative.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by AdrianOmarPerez View Post
    I believe that Serviceman pay is 80% of SJ - on the high end. Approximately $42/Hr. A contractor may expect some good Light Commercial experience, CRAC, Boxcar Units, Scroll and Recip. Chillers, etc. If you have never been in a Union, an NSMA/National Sig can test drive you as a PSE.

At local 32 there is 3 levels of MES 1=55% of BTJ, 2=65% of BTJ and 3=80% of BTJ. A level 3 is about $43 an hr. You can always be paid over scale too.
    UA Proud

"Phfft! Facts. You can use them to prove anything." Homer Simpson

Post Likes
    Wait isn’t Portland way more liberal than Seattle
    UA Proud

"Phfft! Facts. You can use them to prove anything." Homer Simpson

Post Likes
    That's what I hear, but I don't have any personal experience.

Quote Originally Posted by buttwheat View Post
    Wait isn’t Portland way more liberal than Seattle

Post Likes
    At local 32 there is 3 levels of MES 1=55% of BTJ, 2=65% of BTJ and 3=80% of BTJ. A level 3 is about $43 an hr. You can always be paid over scale too.
    Sorry not a union guy can you explain these abbreviations

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    That's great. I have been told that your Local commands the market share up there. For all Service segments of HVAC, Refrigeration, Controls, and NDT we might have 1 percent of the market share here.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in