Post Likes

Sweating windows fix HVR?

I hope someone wouldn’t mind sharing your knowledge and expertise in helping me solve a concern I am having with our full time vacation property on Lake Erie.Ten years ago I rebuilt our ramshackle 1940s cottage and went to town on the insulation to keep it buttoned up for all kind of Lake Erie weather. (spray foam walls and crawlspace walls, R50 Roxol in ceiling) The property originally had a dirt crawlspace but we covered it with plastic and installed a two inch layer of concrete to “seal “ it up. As the crawlspace isn’t 100% waterproof, we sometimes get some leaking of ground water which accumulates in a “pit” that we use a pump to remove. We leave the access hatch to the crawlspace open to allow the air to circulate better and to help dry the damp concrete when it sometimes gets wet. The problem seems to be that even though the crawlspace appears to be dry, the house has a lot of moisture as shown by the extreme amount of condensation we are getting on the windows. We have purchased a dehumidifier which we have continuously running and draining into a sink. We have also tried to leave the heat up higher (60F) than we usually do when we’re not there to cause the furnace to cycle more often and dry the inside air. Right now I have the furenace fan running to circulate the air and have a box fan on a timer to come on during off peak times. We leave the mini blinds opened enough to allow the warm air to heat the windows too. Daytime sun does a great job warming the interior space too. The condensation issue only occurs in the winter and is a concern as it puddles on the wood trim and has lead to my redoing it once already due to water damage. Also, all the windows and doors are newer with 7 of them being professionally installed just last summer.
    So, I’ve been researching whole home dehumidifiers and was wondering what you thought of this idea. We have what I think is called a down draft gas furnace with AC. As the cottage is just 900 square feet and compact, there isn’t lots of room there. All ductwork is under the floor.
    I am looking for a solution that might help rectify this problem once and for all and truly appreciate your advice.

Home Energy Products: 170 DW Hwy, Belmont, NH 03220
    Post Likes
    We mostly do ductless AC. Don't know if you've made any progress but we've had this complaint a few times over the years and put in whole house dehumidifier's. Assumed problem resolved as we did not hear back.

Post Likes
    Sorry about missing your post. The problem is that your home is carrying summer moisture in to cold winter and you are not getting enough dry outside air passing through the home to dry it out.
    You need a good dehumidifier for long term "keep it" dry. The Ultra-Aire 70 H with a small amount of fresh air will do the job. It will keep the crawlspace dry year around.
    A week of cracked windows during low outdoor dew points should dry out the home and may end the winter problem.
    If you fixed it, post what you did.
    Regards Teddy Bear
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"