Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Wire wrapped aroud heat pump condensing unit

Hi guys, I'm a home inspector and started seeing a wire wound around the condensing unit and then over the top of the condenser fan. There is nothing visible on the end of the wire where it terminates hanging below the grill (close to fan blades). I've only see this on Carrier units and it looks very sloppy and subject to damage. I thought it was an outdoor temp sensor wire and I've tried to find reference to this wire on install instructions, but can't. Can you tell me the purpose of this wire and if it is installed properly?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    Sorry but home inspectors have NO business looking at HVAC equipment. Your not trained and or qualafied!

3. Likes lions_lair liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 68malibu383 View Post
    Can you tell me the purpose of this wire and if it is installed properly?
    Possibly someone jury-rigged up some heat cord. It is not normal, or accepted, practice by any manufacture I know of.

Is it a heat pump?
    Instead of learning the tricks of the trade, learn the trade.

Post Likes
    My guess is that it is a anti theft wire if cut it will sound an alarm, but who knows?

Only a guess, most likely the old unit was stolen and this was added to hopefully protect it?

6. Likes beenthere liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I Don't know either, but my best guess, is that someone with O.C.D., and way too much time on their hands, is playing a joke on someone. I would be more concerned about the pine needles that are laying around, which if left unchecked, could put one hell of a strain on the compressor, and system efficiency, come summer time.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rundawg View Post
    Possibly someone jury-rigged up some heat cord. It is not normal, or accepted, practice by any manufacture I know of.

Is it a heat pump?
    Yes, it is a heat pump. I've seen this 6-8 times in the past year. All new construction and all Carrier and by different installers. I've been writing it up as a defect, but have would like to figure out what this is and why it is in place.

Post Likes
    Yes, it is a heat pump. I've seen this 6-8 times in the past year. All new construction and all Carrier and by different installers. I've been writing it up as a defect, but have would like to figure out what this is and why it is in place.
    Looks like the other end of the wire goes indoors with the refrigerant lines, or does it end outdoors too?
    Instead of learning the tricks of the trade, learn the trade.

Post Likes
    If that's new construction in the photo you got more problems with that house than some idiot wire around an AC.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Sorry but home inspectors have NO business looking at HVAC equipment. Your not trained and or qualafied!
    Did I ever tell you about the home inspector that called me out because he found a gas leak that turned out to be a dirty cat litter box? I'm thinking of becoming a home inspector myself I own a ladder and a couple of flashlights so I think I aced the entrance exam right there.

12. Likes lions_lair, Core_d liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I say either someone was just playing around with some extra thermostat wire and didn't care about their job or it is, as someone else suggested, a security wire to lock the unit down. I have seen some odd things in high crime areas to deter people from stealing units. Best way to figure it out is to find BOTH ends of the wire and figure out what kind of wire?

Post Likes
    Ok inspector, since you say you have seen this 6-8 times in the past, i would not rule out a homemade "Proximity Alarm" wire. If it is one, the wire is the antenna, and when cut would change the resistance to the alarm circuit board, thus setting off a dumb criminal alarm, (IMO of course).

Post Likes
    Hi guys, I'm a home inspector and started seeing a wire wound around the condensing unit and then over the top of the condenser fan. There is nothing visible on the end of the wire where it terminates hanging below the grill (close to fan blades). I've only see this on Carrier units and it looks very sloppy and subject to damage. I thought it was an outdoor temp sensor wire and I've tried to find reference to this wire on install instructions, but can't. Can you tell me the purpose of this wire and if it is installed properly?
    Possibly a low voltage heat tape, to off set extremely low OD Temps, beyond the Manufacturer's Design, that was the "Brain Child" of a Progressive Liberal"?

Lol! That Wire is not OEM 68mal.
    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.

"You've got to Stand for Something or You'll fall for anything" (A. Tippin)

Mat_15:24 But he answered, “I wasn’t sent to anyone but the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

Post Likes
    Have You thought about calling Carrier Tech Service about this? Or, ..... The Local Police Department & inform them about a "Serial Wirer" on th' loose?
    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.

"You've got to Stand for Something or You'll fall for anything" (A. Tippin)

Mat_15:24 But he answered, “I wasn’t sent to anyone but the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast