+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Secondary Chilled Water Pump standby vibration problem

Post Likes

Secondary Chilled Water Pump standby vibration problem

Greetings!

I work at a Process Cooling Plant where we serve chilled water and we are experiencing some problems with our secondary pumps. We have a total of 10 secondary pumps in the plant that are connected in parallel. Two pumps are running and the other 8 are standby. The standing pressure of the standby pumps is 2.16 bar. The problem is, the pressure of some standby pumps drop to 1.5 to 1.9 and start vibrating out of nowhere. We would "fix" it by turning the vibrating pump on and turning another off. It's more like a temporary fix. But as time passes, the vibrations happen more frequently.

What might be the problem here? Is this a cause of cavitation? Some of our technicians suspect it is a problem on the check valves.

Post Likes
    Moved to Tech to Tech commercial forum.

Post Likes
    Sounds like Turbulent Water, causing Cavitation, to me. How long has this situation gone on? What has changed in your process plant, as of late? I would also look close at the check valve/valves.

Post Likes
    we need pressures in and out?

Speed drives or fixed speed?

Post Likes
    37.7 psi= 2.6 bar is that pressure correct? What is the suction pressure and have anyone looked at a pump curve? How are they.piped off the same header?

Post Likes
    It's been happening long before I started working here (January 2019). We supply chilled water to a Turbine Air Inlet for a Gas Turbine plant. I think what changes often is the chilled water return from that plant. It goes way off the designed chilled water return for the chillers.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    we need pressures in and out?

Speed drives or fixed speed?
    Pressures in are usually 2.1 bar. Pressures out are 5 to 6 bar. They are fixed speed pumps.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by servicefitter View Post
    37.7 psi= 2.6 bar is that pressure correct? What is the suction pressure and have anyone looked at a pump curve? How are they.piped off the same header?
    Suction pressure is at around 2.1 bar. They are piped off the same header in parallel. How do you use the pump curve? Am I going to need a pump curve for the parallel connection or is one pump curve of all the pumps enough?

Post Likes
    There are 2 ways to go after this problem. The first is to continue to throw guesses at it, and hope one of them lands, OR, you can start at the beginning, and work your way thru it. I would do the second, as it will not only be a challenge for you, but, you will learn so much more in the process. Step one, locate the mechanical design blueprints and make copies to mark up. Step 2, Interview all past and present engineers who were/are operators, and quiz them concerning this problem. Step 3, Locate all start up, and daily logs, which will indicate past and current pump readings, pump change outs, modifications and or repairs.
    Step 4, Find all pump literature pertaining to these pumps, to include installation baseline frequency values, performance curves, and design and operating parameter's. Step 5, Armed with all of that information, start at the beginning, and systematically "Wring the Entire Chilled Water System out".
    This will not be done in one day, or even a couple of days, but will take as long as it takes. As you are wringing the system out, make engineering sketches, and mark up original copy prints to show all your findings. When you get to the root of the problem, you will know it ! Good Luck to You !

Post Likes
    You say the pumps NOT running are vibrating. Could water be going backwards through the discharge check valves on these pumps? Try closing a valve on one of the standbys when it starts vibrating.

Post Likes
    Model # brand of pumps, impeller size and a pic s of the pumps would be nice. Lzenglish is correct need to look at the prints all the pump info should be on them and piping. Working in some process plants never have seen 8 pumps 6 are back ups. Tring to picture having 8 pumps on the same header and are they piped reverse return?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lzenglish View Post
    There are 2 ways to go after this problem. The first is to continue to throw guesses at it, and hope one of them lands, OR, you can start at the beginning, and work your way thru it. I would do the second, as it will not only be a challenge for you, but, you will learn so much more in the process. Step one, locate the mechanical design blueprints and make copies to mark up. Step 2, Interview all past and present engineers who were/are operators, and quiz them concerning this problem. Step 3, Locate all start up, and daily logs, which will indicate past and current pump readings, pump change outs, modifications and or repairs.
    Step 4, Find all pump literature pertaining to these pumps, to include installation baseline frequency values, performance curves, and design and operating parameter's. Step 5, Armed with all of that information, start at the beginning, and systematically "Wring the Entire Chilled Water System out".
    This will not be done in one day, or even a couple of days, but will take as long as it takes. As you are wringing the system out, make engineering sketches, and mark up original copy prints to show all your findings. When you get to the root of the problem, you will know it ! Good Luck to You !
    Thanks a lot! These steps are really helpful! I'll try and do all these as best as I can. Thank you!

13. Likes lzenglish liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Model # brand of pumps, impeller size and a pic s of the pumps would be nice. Lzenglish is correct need to look at the prints all the pump info should be on them and piping. Working in some process plants never have seen 8 pumps 6 are back ups. Tring to picture having 8 pumps on the same header and are they piped reverse return?
    I'm new to this site and from what I understand, I'm still not allowed to post pictures.

Right now, because of low ambient temperatures and on-going preventive maintenance, our client only requires a few chillers and pumps running.

Post Likes
    The pumps are Bell & Gossett VSH 12x14x17.5A. Impeller diameter = 445 mm.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by abdulmdg View Post
    Thanks a lot! These steps are really helpful! I'll try and do all these as best as I can. Thank you!
    You are Welcome, and Please let us know of your findings.

Post Likes
    http://bellgossett.com/literature-library/#search/Vsh
    Just page up to find your pump.
    So this is a 700 hp 1780 rpm double suction pump
    The 2.1 & 6.0 bar running 2 pumps?
    Are you using a know good gauge with the gauge valves flushed. Should be some documentation from the start up of the plant like the water balance report.

Post Likes
    Sounds like you are getting some short-circuiting through the standby pumps, which would suggest a problem with the check valves.

Post Likes
    If there’s is a problem with the check valve, how is the standing suction pressure dropping?

With roughly 80 psi on the discharge and 40 on the suction, there should be an increase in standing suction with back flow, should there not?

Sounds more like a cavitation problem, causing a loss of flow.

Post Likes
    Cavitation in a chilled water system has a lot of energy. If you have cavitation the pump impellers will be damaged in short order. Ay least some of the secondary pumps should be VFD controlled or at least have some sort of pressure control.
    No man can be both ignorant and free.
    Thomas Jefferson

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    The only thing I can quickly think of that would make a not-running pump vibrate is water flow through it. Especially air filled water. Do the shafts of the vibrating-non-running pumps turn when the vibration occurs? If so; is it normal or reverse rotation?

Are there discharge checks on all the pumps?

AS switching the pump on stops the vibration - I would suspect reverse flow through the vibrating pump(s).

I think I would first try loosing the packing and closing an isolation valve on a vibrating-non-running pumps. If that stops the problem I would take-a-look-inside the check valve / replace the check valve.

Another approach would be to close a valve on each standby pump - every time it is shutdown - opening it only to start that particular pumps.

Why are there 8 standby pumps supporting only 2 operation pumps? What controls the pump operation? Are they supposed to be linked to the chiller loading? And here I am wondering why the chiller RWT spikes.

PHM
    -----------

Quote Originally Posted by abdulmdg View Post
    Greetings!

I work at a Process Cooling Plant where we serve chilled water and we are experiencing some problems with our secondary pumps. We have a total of 10 secondary pumps in the plant that are connected in parallel. Two pumps are running and the other 8 are standby. The standing pressure of the standby pumps is 2.16 bar. The problem is, the pressure of some standby pumps drop to 1.5 to 1.9 and start vibrating out of nowhere. We would "fix" it by turning the vibrating pump on and turning another off. It's more like a temporary fix. But as time passes, the vibrations happen more frequently.

What might be the problem here? Is this a cause of cavitation? Some of our technicians suspect it is a problem on the check valves.
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in