Post Likes

Confused ASI Controls through BACnet?

Hello!

We have recently been trying out the ASI control line. I saw a thread that was 4-5 years old about them saying good things.

Anyways, I am specifically looking at a pre-programmed VAV controller (ASIC/1) and I want read and control the points over BACnet. Has anyone had experience with this scenario? I would really appreciate any input on this control line whatsoever ..

I seem to be having trouble reading and controlling VAV box airflow information..

Thanks

Andy

Post Likes
    Does that device support BACnet? Last time I talked with ASI, their BACnet support was very minimal. So unless its something fairly recent, I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Just a quick look, the ASIC/1-6100 VAV can be setup for either BACnet or ASI BS protocol. So you may be looking at ASI proprietary comms. Hello ASI, Y2K calling...
    Propagating the formula. http://www.noagendashow.com/

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by orion242 View Post
    Does that device support BACnet? Last time I talked with ASI, their BACnet support was very minimal. So unless its something fairly recent, I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Just a quick look, the ASIC/1-6100 VAV can be setup for either BACnet or ASI BS protocol. So you may be looking at ASI proprietary comms. Hello ASI, Y2K calling...
    Being only in the trade since 2007 I dont really have the exposure to the early 2000 era.. That being said, I have talked to co-workers who have and they say the same thing: "how it reminds them of the older days gone by.."

Thanks for the input

Post Likes
    Their stuff is full Bacnet, I worked for a rep over 10 years, just when the first Asic/3s started rolling out, have a ton of drop in programs in my library from anything from chill water air handlers, modbus, etc. They say they don't have territories but they do, when I left my phone rang off the hook of people that wanted me to take care of their systems and they would not support me. I know several people that this has happened to that left and went out on their own, one guy was a pure genius and helped mentor me, he did some amazing things and they wouldn't support him. If you hear the talk about with our system we will take care of you, only if you go back to the local VAR. The hardware can take a lickin' though and some of the easiest programming I've ever done.
    Quote Originally Posted by MatrixTransform View Post
    very soon it is you that will be pwned

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by joey791 View Post
    Their stuff is full Bacnet
    For how long? I have talked with them at past AHR shows and this wasn't the case. Yes they had some Bacnet, but the majority of the line was still not off memory.

Post Likes
    It's mostly Bacnet now and they are coming out with a Tridium driver for the ASI protocol.

Post Likes
    Their stuff is full Bacnet,
    As I thought, bull$hit unless its fairly recent. Even then I have to wonder how many installers are choosing an all native Bacnet install vs ASI comms.
    Last edited by orion242; 01-26-2019 at 01:11 AM.

Post Likes
    The deal with the ASI comms is backwards compatibility, the original controls made can talk to the current line, everything has always been backwards compatible, you don't want to sell someone a complete system if they lose one controller.

Post Likes
    That's great that they support this, cannot knock it.

I just wonder how many are out there flashing Bacnet support and installing ASI comms. Even assuming all ASI guys went Bacnet, this only applies to fairly fresh projects.

don't want to sell someone a complete system if they lose one controller.
    Nope, but you can make a gateway device that translates existing stuff to Bacnet. Instead of a MS/TP<>IP router you have an ASI<>Bacnet IP router. Use that to lay the next gen network while supporting yesterday.

Open Tbox driver would be a big plus. Sledge hammer to drive a finishing nail solution still.
    Last edited by orion242; 01-26-2019 at 10:47 PM.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by orion242 View Post
    That's great that they support this, cannot knock it.

I just wonder how many are out there flashing Bacnet support and installing ASI comms. Even assuming all ASI guys went Bacnet, this only applies to fairly fresh projects.

Nope, but you can make a gateway device that translates existing stuff to Bacnet. Instead of a MS/TP<>IP router you have an ASI<>Bacnet IP router. Use that to lay the next gen network while supporting yesterday.
    The company I currently work for has a hotel we have done work for in a major market that has somewhere in the neighborhood of 200 ASI controllers in it, a mix of controllers from 3 generations ago to current, with the older controllers on the same link you can't go Bacnet. ASI made the Bacport and that allowed ASI to Bacnet/IP, I never used one but I think it was device limited, Red Lion/B & B had a multiprotocol little Gateway box(I don't remember the name, it isn't made anymore), but the point configuration was a PITA and would have took forever for a 200 controller system.