Post Likes

Old Trane XL90 Furnace. Seeking some advise.

Looking for help here. I have an old 1992 Trane XL90 40k BTU nat. gas furnace. I noticed several days ago the furnace was no longer working. I could hear the inducer motor running and that was it. So I opened up the furnace and saw that the igniter was not glowing. I called a tech and they came out and said the igniter was bad so they replaced that but it still didn’t work. They then said one of the two pressure switches was bad. Being that the pressure switch, which is an original TriDelta FS6599 switch is no longer made they put in a Goodman switch with the same pressure rating. (Not confident that switch would even work as I think the TriDelta switch is a double bladder) and I believe this particular Tridelta switch is normally closed. This switch has a tube what connects to the combustion chamber cover. Once that new switch was in, the igniter started glowing but now there is no fire/combustion It just glows for a minute or two, I hear some clicks and it briefly goes out and then starts glowing again. I can feel the gas valve click but still nothing. The control board will blink red once as I assume this a call for heat. Anyone have any ideas what I should check next?

Post Likes
    We are not onsite, from the sounds of it, you have had part changers out not troubleshooters.

Need to find a troubleshooting technician that will verify what is going on and provide the proper repair, not just change parts and cross his fingers.

Might try to find a recommended Trane dealer to have a look. Or see if there is a contractor from this site that is close to you on the contractor map.

Issues may have been caused by the prior tech not using the proper parts as required or just has thrown parts not needed.

Post Likes
    After the Tech. Installed the 2nd part and got the glow coil to work, you skipped the part about what the Tech. did next and went to " Anyone have any ideas what I should check next " .....what happened to the Tech. next move?

Post Likes
    The tech said he can't get a replacement switch because it isn't made any more and so hand over $3k and we will put in a new furnace. For that price, I would buy a furnace and install it myself. Done that before. It's a swap out. No new ducts to run or A-Coli to install etc. Anyway, I had a new company/tech come out yesterday afternoon. He got it running for a bit (Not sure how) and he did say the switch was bad and was going to order one. I will be interested to see if they can find something that matches as I have seen others comment it is hard to find out what the WC is on these old TriDelta switches when the WC isn't marked on them. He said it appeared that while the new switch the other tech put in was allowing to the igniter to work when the gas kicked in, it was creating just enough additional pressure to close the circuit on the switch and hence why it was shutting off immediately. Also did say it is possible there is an issue with the heat exchanger. He said they should have a new switch by tomorrow or Friday so we will see. I will comment back then on what the outcome was.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by plisken View Post
    The tech said he can't get a replacement switch because it isn't made any more and so hand over $3k and we will put in a new furnace. For that price, I would buy a furnace and install it myself. Done that before. It's a swap out. No new ducts to run or A-Coli to install etc. .
    That the attitude i love. You deserve the parts changers!

Then do it yourself, exact match for match. No combustion analyses
    no static pressure tests
    all my units just slip in to the same opening.

Post Likes
    Guys, I got tired of explaining the no DIY policy so I just click and report it.
    AOP Rules: Rules For Equipment Owners.

Free online load calculator: http://www.loadcalc.net/

There = not here. Their = possessive pronoun. They're = they are
    It's = contraction of it is. Its = the possessive form of it
    Too = also. To = expressing motion. Two = 2
    Then = after that, next. Than = indicates a comparison.
    Questions should end with a question mark "?" Statements end with a period "."