Post Likes

R-22 Phase Out on January 1, 2020

On January 1, 2020 (less than a year from now) R-22 will no longer be allowed to be imported into the US or be manufactured. However reclaimed R-22 will still be allowed to be sold. So you will still be able to add R-22 to your system of course at a higher cost. Just wanted to give everyone a heads up here. Thank you very much

https://forestairllc.com/r-22-refrig...ms-homeowners/

January 1, 2020:
    The Montreal Protocol requires the U.S. to ban the production of R-22. Refrigerant that has been recovered and recycled/reclaimed will be allowed beyond 2020 to service existing systems, but chemical manufacturers will no longer be able to produce R-22 to service existing air conditioners and heat pumps.
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."

"I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Sen. Barry Goldwater

Post Likes
    Same as other phase outs..

The manufacturing or importing stops.

What ever recovered / reclaimed R-22 out there can still be sold and used.
    Any stock can still be sold and used.

It can be transferred to another system owned by the same person

As far as I know ALL other phase outs are on hold pending the courts rulings!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    It can be transferred to another system owned by the same person
    Can used refrigerant be transferred to a system of another owner if they're aware? Sometimes I juice up a system with used refrigerant if they sign a contract for a new system, just to get them by until our change out crew can get to them.

Post Likes
    Now sure about you … but iver never seen the EPA police watch me add freezon to any unit

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapperhead View Post
    Now sure about you … but iver never seen the EPA police watch me add freezon to any unit
    I've never seen the freon Police period!

Post Likes
    Maybe the price for recovered 22 will go up.
    I sure would like to free up 3 or 4 tanks.

Post Likes
    If you look deep enough, you will find out that a very large quantity of what has been purchased over the last couple of years has been reclaimed refrigerant. Very little true virgin R-22 is still floating around.

On a serious note, we went through the same scare with R-11 a while back. The reality is that I can still go to my refrigerant supplier and buy R-11 with only a phone call ahead so they can pull it.

No reason to panic just yet. The refrigerant manufacturers want you to panic, so you will switch to their newest flavor of juice.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CircusEnvy View Post
    Can used refrigerant be transferred to a system of another owner if they're aware? Sometimes I juice up a system with used refrigerant if they sign a contract for a new system, just to get them by until our change out crew can get to them.
    You can't sell used refrigerant unless it has been purified . I have not seen anything prohibiting letting a customer "borrow" used refrigerant,get it back at change out time.

9. Likes HVAC_Marc liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I had a salesman tell me that refrigerant reclaimers aren't paying much for recovered r-22 anymore. There for a while you could get a decent check for your recovered r-22, now I guess it's pennies. Anyone else hear this? If true it will diminish what will be available later.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BNME8EZ View Post
    I had a salesman tell me that refrigerant reclaimers aren't paying much for recovered r-22 anymore. There for a while you could get a decent check for your recovered r-22, now I guess it's pennies. Anyone else hear this? If true it will diminish what will be available later.
    You know what I think about that?

Psssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

12. Likes HVAC_Marc liked this post.
    Post Likes
    If our industry is to follow the corporate suit of other industries, such as the software sector, our customers our probably in for it. Refrigerant will be akin to an operating system like windows. After 15-20 years they will stop manufacturing units with 410a, or 127 or etc.. Of course they will also discontinue any support for the old products to ad insult to injury. Such a windfall for the share holders and top managers alike in a world were the customer must purchase something new simply because the old is not available. Never mind that it is still able to be effective with a little help from your friendly neighborhood actechnician.