Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    I believe I gave you good and accurate information and advice. Explain to me how in this day and age that a quality hvac company does not do combustion testing. What do they do on a call for CO? Are they one of the many companies that say the flame is blue so it is a good flame? How do they say that a unit is safe to operate? There was no need to take it personal and I did qualify it by saying "probably" and I stand by that. You have the right thing in mind so stick to it and grow past your company if need be. Maybe you can bring something to the company you work for.
    Honestly, you are probably right, but it's hard not to take it personally, especially since my father-in-law runs it and i intend to take it over. I am trying to modernize the company one step at a time. That is why im trying to learn about this stuff now instead of when i'm running it and i look like an idiot. I think my father-in-law would argue that we have thousands of happy customers the way we do it and that's what he cares about.

I will definitely look into the bluflame analyzer. As for getting the company to pay for it, i will probably need to learn more about the whole field of combustion analysis to convince him we need it.

2. Likes TruTech-Bill liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ats1986 View Post
    Good to know. One question for Bill, the measure quick app has an option to scan a QR code for a Bacharach combustion analyzer, so i assume they (or certain ones) work with the app? Perhaps i will relisten to the recent HVACR School podcast where Jim Bergmann where he talked about some of this.
    You are correct. I corrected my error in another posting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bill Spohn
    President & CEO
    www.TruTechTools.com

Post Likes
    Honestly, you are probably right, but it's hard not to take it personally, especially since my father-in-law runs it and i intend to take it over. I am trying to modernize the company one step at a time. That is why im trying to learn about this stuff now instead of when i'm running it and i look like an idiot. I think my father-in-law would argue that we have thousands of happy customers the way we do it and that's what he cares about.

I will definitely look into the bluflame analyzer. As for getting the company to pay for it, i will probably need to learn more about the whole field of combustion analysis to convince him we need it.
    I didn't mean anything by it, I was just being honest. I can all but guarantee that if you try to bring in CA to a company that doesn't use it you will get push back for it and many will equate it with voodoo. And it may cause some problems. You have the right thing in mind and you should pursue it.
    Signature removed Violated rule #15

5. Likes TruTech-Bill liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TruTech-Bill View Post
    Fyi
    TruTechTools offers fairly priced sensors, calibrations and minor repairs.
    https://www.trutechtools.com/Calibration

Bill, I own the Testo 330-2 LL, haven't use it in a long time due to bad sensors and the prohibited cost of new ones, The sensors in my analyzers are CO-0390 0090, O2-0390 0061, do you guys carry cheaper replacement alternatives? There is no way I'm gonna pay $920 for a sensor, I could buy a whole new analyzer for that much!
    There is not better place for the working men than the union! 100% UA the only HVAC union!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by valdelocc View Post
    Bill, I own the Testo 330-2 LL, haven't use it in a long time due to bad sensors and the prohibited cost of new ones, The sensors in my analyzers are CO-0390 0090, O2-0390 0061, do you guys carry cheaper replacement alternatives? There is no way I'm gonna pay $920 for a sensor, I could buy a whole new analyzer for that much!
    I totally understand.

All combustion analyzer sensors are custom to the analyzer by the manufacturer. No substitutions possible.
    For future use, purchasers need to look at lifecycle cost (eg sensor replacement) when making a buying decision.

You can join our free member group to get testo discounts when you log in.

If you have a free account at TruTech, you can be added to that group by filling in this 2 question form here: www.bit.ly/TTT-DISCOUNTS

If you do not yet have a TruTech account, please FIRST sign up for a TruTech account here:
    www.bit.ly/TTT-ACCOUNT

Bill Spohn
    President & CEO
    www.TruTechTools.com

Post Likes
    We have about 70 bacharach units in the field, probably 50/50 co only and analysers (many of which bought through ttt btw) and i find them great except the pumps in them suck. They get 'dirty' very easily. Generally many analysers will get 6-9 months out of them before they will not move enough gasses to get a good sample while the co only can get a couple years. I suspect fuel oil is the culprit. (They can be cleaned which is another discussion). Sensors are easily replaceable but i really wish they had a different pump or filter mechanism which would extend their lifespan.

'The more you know, the more you realize you don't know'

Post Likes
    About a month ago I started to use the Bacharach PCA 400 and really like it, my favorite feature is the blue tooth app very handy for tuning large boilers, now I can make adjustment watching the readings from my Iphone, the only thing I dislike is the screw on the battery compartment other than that is a great tool!
    There is not better place for the working men than the union! 100% UA the only HVAC union!

Post Likes
    On a related topic, Bill Spohn (whom I suspect is the secret identity of Tru-Tech Bill) wrote an article about combustion analyzers that is in the March issue of the RSES Journal. The article has some links to some online CA resources. He mentions other luminaries such as Jim Davis, Bob Dywer, Rudy Leatherman, and Jim Bergman in the article, too.
    AOP Rules: Rules For Equipment Owners.

Free online load calculator: http://www.loadcalc.net/

There = not here. Their = possessive pronoun. They're = they are
    It's = contraction of it is. Its = the possessive form of it
    Too = also. To = expressing motion. Two = 2
    Then = after that, next. Than = indicates a comparison.
    Questions should end with a question mark "?" Statements end with a period "."

Post Likes

RSES Journal combustion article

Quote Originally Posted by kdean1 View Post
    On a related topic, Bill Spohn (whom I suspect is the secret identity of Tru-Tech Bill) wrote an article about combustion analyzers that is in the March issue of the RSES Journal. The article has some links to some online CA resources. He mentions other luminaries such as Jim Davis, Bob Dywer, Rudy Leatherman, and Jim Bergman in the article, too.
    All of this is true!

I hope you all enjoy the article!

-bill
    Bill Spohn
    President & CEO
    www.TruTechTools.com

Post Likes
    I like my Wohler a550. I’ve had it for 4.5 years and have had almost no issues with it. It trust the readings it gives me which is very important. Tech support is prompt in responding to questions or concerns and calibration/maintenance on the unit is fast and reasonable. I had 4 different Testo analyzers and had some bad experiences with them. I have a Bacharach PCA3 worked well but seemed dated.

The newer Wohler A450 is probably better for newer users. I don’t think just because you just started to use a Combustion Analyzer you should need to buy a model that has all the function you may need now and in the future. I dislike to analyzers that give you a pass/fail response. You should learn why you are getting the readings you do. Learning the different types of equipments acceptable operating range/readings. It will help you greatly diagnose issues,and uncover issues, that are not obvious.

I used yes to for a long while until I went to NCI class with Jim Davis 6-7 years ago and again 4 years ago. Without a doubt the best class I have ever been to. It was a bit pricy but well worth the cost. I need to go again to get update info from The great book Jim develops.

I’ll stop.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12