Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 27 to 39 of 46
  1. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    32
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Davis View Post
    Outgassing the oil cartridge or filter has been written in the Sundstrand/Suntec Field Handbook for 40 years or more, It discusses after you do your normal purge to close off the tank valve and pull a vacuum on the filter for a couple of minutes.
    That makes sense.. I’ll have to pull out my Suntec book and try and find that section. On tuneups I normally check to see if the fuel pump starts pulling a vacuum or not right before I check and set pump discharge pressure.

    Do you (personally) normally outgas the filter after every cartridge change?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Broomall, PA
    Posts
    3,015
    Post Likes
    You can google "power vacuum bleed". I do it every time. George Lanthier has written a few articles on it, and mentions it in a book he wrote about fuel pumps.
    If I do a job in 30 minutes it's because I spent 30 years learning how to do that in 30 minutes. You owe me for the years, not the minutes.

  3. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    3,048
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by SuckinSoot View Post
    That makes sense.. I’ll have to pull out my Suntec book and try and find that section. On tuneups I normally check to see if the fuel pump starts pulling a vacuum or not right before I check and set pump discharge pressure.

    Do you (personally) normally outgas the filter after every cartridge change?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I recommend it if you don't want after drip. The information on outgassing is very small at the bottom of a page.
    captain CO

  4. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Medford, N.Y.
    Posts
    6,653
    Post Likes
    What MN# is this Slant Fin boiler??? I have to see if the protruding end cone is allowed by the Mfrg.

  5. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    9,656
    Post Likes
    On Sunstrand pumps information it said to reset the internal check valve. With the burner off, to turn the pressure adjustment screw all the way in and then back out, turn on the burner and adjust the pressure. I had found most drips are because the internal check valve or a failed check valve. I reset the check valve routinely of PM's.
    I can't say if this procedure applies to all brands of pumps.
    I have not found filters outgassing to be any problem. That's not saying it isn't, just it had not been a problem for me.

    Sid Harvey ( are they still around?) sold a check valve that went in the oil line to the nozzle for this problem.
    Give me a relay with big enough contacts, and I'll run the world!

    You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

    If a person wants to create a machine that will be more likely to fail...Make it complicated.

    USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

  6. #32
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Hamersville, Ohio
    Posts
    7,281
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Davis View Post
    Outgassing the oil cartridge or filter has been written in the Sundstrand/Suntec Field Handbook for 40 years or more, It discusses after you do your normal purge to close off the tank valve and pull a vacuum on the filter for a couple of minutes.
    I wasn't aware of this Jim.
    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.


    "You've got to Stand for Something or You'll fall for anything" (A. Tippin)


    Mat_15:24 But he answered, “I wasn’t sent to anyone but the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

  7. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Hamersville, Ohio
    Posts
    7,281
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Davis View Post
    I recommend it if you don't want after drip. The information on outgassing is very small at the bottom of a page.
    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.


    "You've got to Stand for Something or You'll fall for anything" (A. Tippin)


    Mat_15:24 But he answered, “I wasn’t sent to anyone but the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

  8. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Hamersville, Ohio
    Posts
    7,281
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    On Sunstrand pumps information it said to reset the internal check valve. With the burner off, to turn the pressure adjustment screw all the way in and then back out, turn on the burner and adjust the pressure. I had found most drips are because the internal check valve or a failed check valve. I reset the check valve routinely of PM's.
    I can't say if this procedure applies to all brands of pumps.
    I have not found filters outgassing to be any problem. That's not saying it isn't, just it had not been a problem for me.

    Sid Harvey ( are they still around?) sold a check valve that went in the oil line to the nozzle for this problem.
    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.


    "You've got to Stand for Something or You'll fall for anything" (A. Tippin)


    Mat_15:24 But he answered, “I wasn’t sent to anyone but the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

  9. #35
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    3,048
    Post Likes
    I worked with a HVAC wholesaler for 15 years that rebuilt Sunstrand and Webster oil pumps. We had a test bench so I could play with different things. We sprayed into a clear glass container so we could see after drip. Tried oil valves, check valves, No-Airs and nothing prevented after drip except getting rid of the air.

    When combustion testing and watching CO at Shut-down it can be determined if there is after-drip or impingement,
    captain CO

  10. #36
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Hamersville, Ohio
    Posts
    7,281
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Davis View Post
    I worked with a HVAC wholesaler for 15 years that rebuilt Sunstrand and Webster oil pumps. We had a test bench so I could play with different things. We sprayed into a clear glass container so we could see after drip. Tried oil valves, check valves, No-Airs and nothing prevented after drip except getting rid of the air.

    When combustion testing and watching CO at Shut-down it can be determined if there is after-drip or impingement,
    Hos 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you may be no priest to me. Because you have forgotten your God’s law, I will also forget your children.


    "You've got to Stand for Something or You'll fall for anything" (A. Tippin)


    Mat_15:24 But he answered, “I wasn’t sent to anyone but the lost sheep of the house of Israel.”

  11. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    32
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by STEVEusaPA View Post
    You can google "power vacuum bleed". I do it every time. George Lanthier has written a few articles on it, and mentions it in a book he wrote about fuel pumps.
    So I found some of George lanthier’s articles on the subject on fuel oil news website. Great great stuff, thank u. Had a oil leak callback on a guy and then a triple prime and start after a run out this afternoon. Outgassing the filter worked perfectly on each unit i touched today. Big difference to the way I was taught to bleed the fuel pump.

    Now I’m trying to get the materials together to build the “AcCoolant tank bleeding container” that Lanthier mentioned in the one article. Looks like it would make things even easier


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    9,656
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Davis View Post
    I worked with a HVAC wholesaler for 15 years that rebuilt Sunstrand and Webster oil pumps. We had a test bench so I could play with different things. We sprayed into a clear glass container so we could see after drip. Tried oil valves, check valves, No-Airs and nothing prevented after drip except getting rid of the air.

    When combustion testing and watching CO at Shut-down it can be determined if there is after-drip or impingement,
    I have changed thousands of oil filters and not had drip problems you mention or ever thought I needed to out gas a filter. It's difficult to imaging a drip measurably changing the CO2 in a test. Impingement I can understand. How much CO2 is in a drip?

    My results might not be of the lab variety but still valid because of observation. If I had a drip after resetting the check valve the pump would have been changed. I changed very few pumps and like I said the reset method was from Sunstrand.

    I can understand how air, at least in amounts needed to affect a nozzle, could cause drips if the partial vacuum in the supply tube was not sufficient to prevent the oil from draining out the nozzle. In fact I used to test plugged nozzles by holding the tube assembly up with the nozzle higher to see if oil would drain out. Had to be larger than .6 or it might not drain anyway.
    This wasn't a pass/fail test, just evidence gathering usually on no heat call.
    Give me a relay with big enough contacts, and I'll run the world!

    You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

    If a person wants to create a machine that will be more likely to fail...Make it complicated.

    USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

  13. #39
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Broomall, PA
    Posts
    3,015
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by SuckinSoot View Post
    So I found some of George lanthier’s articles on the subject on fuel oil news website. Great great stuff, thank u. Had a oil leak callback on a guy and then a triple prime and start after a run out this afternoon. Outgassing the filter worked perfectly on each unit i touched today. Big difference to the way I was taught to bleed the fuel pump.

    Now I’m trying to get the materials together to build the “AcCoolant tank bleeding container” that Lanthier mentioned in the one article. Looks like it would make things even easier


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    George is simply the best. His book store portion of his website should be opened back up in the spring.
    His books
    -Advanced Oilburners
    -Riello Oil
    -Book about fuel pumps (blanking on the title)
    are the main 3 books every oilburner tech should own. You also can’t go wrong with his wiring books, as well as his book on hydronics.
    His forum is on Facebook. If I ever get on FB it will be just for that.

    That bleeder is easy to make. One trip to Pep Boys. His book on fuel pumps explains how I built it.
    If I do a job in 30 minutes it's because I spent 30 years learning how to do that in 30 minutes. You owe me for the years, not the minutes.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Contracting Business
HPAC Engineering
EC&M
CONTRACTOR