Post Likes

Confused New two zone Carrier system not operating as expected

Hi all,

I'm brand new here. I did some searching within the forums and didn't find any previous post that is similar to my situation. If there is, and I missed it, I apologize.

I recently had a completely new Carrier Infinity system installed by an authorized Carrier dealer/installer. All my duct-work was replaced (I had old poorly installed fiberglass duct-board, I'm glad it's gone!). New two stage gas furnace with whole home humidifier. New A/C unit. I own a two story home and the original system was only one zone so I really wanted the two floors split. I've got my main Infinity thermostat on the first floor and a second remote thermostat on the second floor. I can provide model numbers of everything if it helps answer my question.

I was excited about having two zones so I immediately starting testing the system. I noticed right away that it did not operate as I expected. Downstairs is Zone 1 and upstairs is Zone 2. I seem to have no issue directing flow only to Zone 2 alone. However, I almost never see flow directed only to Zone 1. For instance, I can have Zone 1 set to 70 and Zone 2 set to 68. The system has been running for a while on LOW heat but even though the thermostat on Zone 2 is reading 71, it will continue to pump heat to Zone 2. Even if I drop zone 2 down to 60 and it will just keeping pumping heat to Zone 2. At first I thought this might have something to do with CFM , flow limit settings or static pressure issues but then I did this - if I set the stats so the system should only heat Zone 2, wait for the zones to move accordingly and then change the stat settings so the system should only heat Zone 1, it works! I baffled as to why this makes it work. Unfortunately it doesn’t last, as soon as Zone 2 demands heat again, Zone 1 seems to never want to close again. I hope that all makes sense…

The installer is taking me seriously and has been great at trying to resolve my concern. They have been to my house twice. They have changed flow limit settings and the last guy re-ran the setup and made sure the zones were operating properly but the issue still persists. Someone from the company is coming out a third time this evening. I’m worried they are running out of ideas.

Does anything jump out at you? Anything I could suggest to the installer to check?

Thank you,
    Alex

Post Likes
    Someone from the company came out and checked the zoning board. He noticed one of the zones was miss-wired. The neutral and closed connections were swapped. He swapped them back and now everything works. Only took three visits to figure that out!

Post Likes
    I’d contact the owner and ask WHY.
    3 trips for something stupid, wonder what else they missed!

Post Likes
    That is very sad to hear.

The infinity zone system is very easy to commission. Right thru the infinity control, you can run operational tests in the installer menu.

If they properly commissioned, this issue would have been solved before they even left your home.

I agree with pec, the owner may want to have his technicians and installers go they more training on the setup and commissioning on the infinity zone system.