Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    No union for hot side guys. Last shop I worked for hot side wages topped out at 60% of journeymans wages.
    I believe that the Orlando Local has a CKE training program.

Sent using Tapatalk Pro

Post Likes
    Ya, I took a three day cfesa course in North Carolina a few years ago. Wasn’t bad. Got into AC mainly the last few years so feeling rusty on hot side. Did a few ovens in the last couple weeks. Picked up some new accounts and while working on coolers, they ask hey do you do hot side too? So back to it a bit for sure. Working on a dishwasher heater right now too, and I said “ I’m not a dishwasher tech” they said ok. When do you want to look at it? ..... we know you’ll figure it out...

Post Likes
    I’ve been working as a service tech for a company doing restaurant equipment repair for just over a year. Before this I had VERY limited experience with refrigeration, a little more electrical, and no hot side whatsoever. Inside of a month I was on my own doing cold side hot side ware washing, ice machines(which is kind of it’s own thing) and all of the miscellaneous things like vacuum sealers, mixers, etc.

It has been an interesting, but frustrating year.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VanMan812 View Post
    This topic came up in conversation at a supply house recently. There was a commercial HVAC tech bragging that he works on all brands of RTU’s. He was going on and on about how his boss can send him on anything and that’s why he’s paid so well. I chimed in and asked how many total manufacturers equipment he works on and he could come up with 8 brands. I told him I have over 950 manufacturers in my system right now. Steam, gas, electric, refrigeration, commercial/industrial laundry, HVAC, etc etc and each brand has dozens of types of equipment and models. I work on it all and if someday my boss sends me to work on a grain combine or an elevator I will be expected to fix it. The tech says “I bet you get paid pretty well!” but sadly he and I probably make the same wage.

And what I think that comes down to is in the general scope of things, plumbers and electricians and HVAC techs all get paid a very similar rate. And the kitchen guys just get thrown into that mixing bowl and get paid the same.
    And this is the reason I started my business 30 years ago. To work for me. Most tech's I have talked to and seen try over the years could not manage a business so working for a company is their best option. This is not a reflection of their cooking equipment knowledge but more of their business skills.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123