+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hot Side, Cold Side

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by SandShark View Post
    I like your thinking. Appreciate the feedback.

Post Likes
    I've noticed every time I'm at. Kitchen working on a cooler I get the " hey do you work on hot side stuff too, we have an oven down?" . Usually I end up taking a look. Convection oven, griddle, fryer etc...
    there is SO much different stuff on hot side, I find it way harder than coolers, which mostly all work about the same. Factory support is tuff to get, huge variety of parts, etc... how do most of you learn hot side? Just as you go, piece by piece? It seems in general more complicated to me

Post Likes
    I Actually started out on the hot side and moved over to doing cold.

Kklobas,

It's piece by piece, I don't think I've attended any factory training on any equipment even though I've looked for it and tried to do it, it just never happened but most tech support will help you, only company I ever had say no was Rational. You just need to learn the technology they use, that's the thing, learn about burners, gas valves, different types of ignition systems (pilot, spark, one more I don't remember) and how these things work, most gas equipment is similar when it comes down to it.

It's all the same shit, just put together differently with a different name on it.

Post Likes
    Yes one needs to hone in on their electrical skills to be good at it.

Post Likes
    Absolutely, so many sensors and safeties to watch out for.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kklobas View Post
    I've noticed every time I'm at. Kitchen working on a cooler I get the " hey do you work on hot side stuff too, we have an oven down?" . Usually I end up taking a look. Convection oven, griddle, fryer etc...
    there is SO much different stuff on hot side, I find it way harder than coolers, which mostly all work about the same. Factory support is tuff to get, huge variety of parts, etc... how do most of you learn hot side? Just as you go, piece by piece? It seems in general more complicated to me
    If you know the sequence of operation, if you're proficient at troubleshooting and you can read a wiring schematic, you can work on the hot side. Also, being able to work in a busy kitchen can't hurt, either.
    With your chrome heart shining in the sun, long may you run.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    No union for hot side guys. Last shop I worked for hot side wages topped out at 60% of journeymans wages.
    I believe that the Orlando Local has a CKE training program.

Sent using Tapatalk Pro

Post Likes
    Ya, I took a three day cfesa course in North Carolina a few years ago. Wasn’t bad. Got into AC mainly the last few years so feeling rusty on hot side. Did a few ovens in the last couple weeks. Picked up some new accounts and while working on coolers, they ask hey do you do hot side too? So back to it a bit for sure. Working on a dishwasher heater right now too, and I said “ I’m not a dishwasher tech” they said ok. When do you want to look at it? ..... we know you’ll figure it out...

Post Likes
    I’ve been working as a service tech for a company doing restaurant equipment repair for just over a year. Before this I had VERY limited experience with refrigeration, a little more electrical, and no hot side whatsoever. Inside of a month I was on my own doing cold side hot side ware washing, ice machines(which is kind of it’s own thing) and all of the miscellaneous things like vacuum sealers, mixers, etc.

It has been an interesting, but frustrating year.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VanMan812 View Post
    This topic came up in conversation at a supply house recently. There was a commercial HVAC tech bragging that he works on all brands of RTU’s. He was going on and on about how his boss can send him on anything and that’s why he’s paid so well. I chimed in and asked how many total manufacturers equipment he works on and he could come up with 8 brands. I told him I have over 950 manufacturers in my system right now. Steam, gas, electric, refrigeration, commercial/industrial laundry, HVAC, etc etc and each brand has dozens of types of equipment and models. I work on it all and if someday my boss sends me to work on a grain combine or an elevator I will be expected to fix it. The tech says “I bet you get paid pretty well!” but sadly he and I probably make the same wage.

And what I think that comes down to is in the general scope of things, plumbers and electricians and HVAC techs all get paid a very similar rate. And the kitchen guys just get thrown into that mixing bowl and get paid the same.
    And this is the reason I started my business 30 years ago. To work for me. Most tech's I have talked to and seen try over the years could not manage a business so working for a company is their best option. This is not a reflection of their cooking equipment knowledge but more of their business skills.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in