Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Likes
    There should be nothing in the system to plug up the valve. If there is it came from the instillation!

How many valves have been changed? How many driers are on the system?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    There should be nothing in the system to plug up the valve. If there is it came from the instillation!

How many valves have been changed? How many driers are on the system?
    2 valves and 2 driers changed, I only see the dryer outside the unit but not really sure.

Post Likes
    I work on heat pumps 95% or more of the time. IF your compressor is not running and your outdoor fan is and the electric heat is not on then the defrost board is not calling for the electric heat to be on. Now when you say fan is running and you are talking not about the outside fan but inside fan then the defrost board is still probably not calling for electric heat as it only calls for it when it is in defrost. Now they have to figure out why is the compressor shutting down. I sometimes get confused when people say that the fan is always running as there are 2 fans for us and they need to be identified for me to know which one is being talked about.

Post Likes
    The fan indoors runs, does not select Emer Heat automatically. Outside the fan is not running the compressor is not running and it is not frozen up. I explained the details in the first post.

After the unit trys to defrost so many times it locks out the defrost cycle. When the problem first appears, before it is totally screwed up, I can reset the circuit breaker which clears the lock out for a while
    until it gets enough defrost attempts and then locks out the heatpump.

Thanks DOGBOY

Post Likes
    I do not know of a mfr that would do any different than Trane has done. Most mfrs won't supply a new unit unless it is DOA on initial fire up. Even then it takes verification it was not an install issue.
    Some mfrs have a satisfaction guarantee, but that does require a dealer that is "special" to that mfr(like a premier or factory authorized, etc).

There is only one filter/drier for the refrigerant. Where is yours?

The fact that the outdoor unit is doing nothing could mean there is a communication issue or a fault. The technician needs to determine this from onsite. So far you have indicated they are thinking this is a mechanical issue and not an electrical issue.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    Ok on the fact that most mfg's would not replace the unit. So I'm stuck with a system so far that has only worked about 85 percent of it's life.

On both occasions they claim the expansion valved was clogged. They are able to monitor the unit online and have consistently seen it go repeatedly in the defrost mode and then lock out so they
    feel it is mechanical. They have changed the defrost board which made no difference. The unit that it replaced was working fine, just a 18 year old unit that was very inefficient.

They have talked on several occasions with the local Trane support and they say that it locking itself out is what it's suppose to do if it goes into defrost too often over a period of time.

The filter drier is outside just outside of the unit. It has been changed each time the system was opened.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Kisssys View Post
    Ok on the fact that most mfg's would not replace the unit. So I'm stuck with a system so far that has only worked about 85 percent of it's life.

On both occasions they claim the expansion valved was clogged. They are able to monitor the unit online and have consistently seen it go repeatedly in the defrost mode and then lock out so they
    feel it is mechanical. They have changed the defrost board which made no difference. The unit that it replaced was working fine, just a 18 year old unit that was very inefficient.

They have talked on several occasions with the local Trane support and they say that it locking itself out is what it's suppose to do if it goes into defrost too often over a period of time.

The filter drier is outside just outside of the unit. It has been changed each time the system was opened.
    I have never heard of that. Looking at the Trane info it does show a scenario where this could happen. There is an associated fault code with the reason the unit does not function. Have they told or written down that fault code?

If that is true, why did they replace the txv? And which txv did they replace, indoor or outdoor?
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    Is this the first or second heating season for the heat pump?
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    Good question, this is the second season, but the first season was very mild in north texas so I do wonder if I just lucked out getting through the first year heating.

Post Likes
    Have them install tattle tales on the pressure controls to see if they are opening or if you have both a high and low it will show which area to concentrate on. At this point they seem to be spinning their wheels.

Identifies open controls in seconds. A single use monitoring device for determining which, safety control has opened in response to a malfunction. Saves wasted hours tracing a safety control shutdown, even if intermittent. A quick, inexpensive way to visually spot where the problem is. Simply install in parallel with each safety control. When a control opens, the red indicator flag pops up. You will know immediately which area of the system is experiencing problems. Disposable, safe, simple to use, and pocket sized. Monitors safety controls.

Post Likes
    Ok Bazooka, I'll mention that.

Question. If the previous systems oil was not purged completely or they installed the wrong oil on install could that be the cause of the TXV clogging. Is their a second TXV inside and if so why does it not get clogged also?

Post Likes
    No one changes oil in a new system

Post Likes
    http://lyonconklin.fergusonhvac.com/...ew-Install.pdf

Ask them if this applies as your model is affected expired 2018 and mentions the clogging issue at metering device.

Not firmilar with that model if the OD unit has a TXV or a piston metering device, but the indoor Air Handler says it comes with the TXV metering device.
    Last edited by Bazooka Joey; 02-11-2019 at 11:12 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast