Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Post Likes
    According to the books I have the TEM4 has a TXV, so you have one inside and one outside. If your in Texas you would have much more time in cooling than heating so why would the TXV be failing on heating and not cooling. IOW I would think your indoor TXV would be the one that needs replaced, not outside. Did you have any problems toward the end of the cooling season with the system not cooling quite as well as normal? Most of these TXV's are bi-flow they meter flow one direction and go full open and have a by pass to let the refrigerant flow with little to no pressure drop in reverse cycle. If the indoor piston stuck closed it would create a pressure drop that could be perceived as a bad outdoor TXV.

This still does not explain why the back up heat is not coming on.

Post Likes
    Yes, I'm on the internet now.

Post Likes
    Post 49 you say the install date was May 2017 then in post 51 you say the manufacturer date is May 2017. I suppose that's possible, usually the manufacturer date is months or even a year or two before the system gets installed and registered.

Curious what the warranty will be on that new OD unit, may want to ask them. Typically it would be 10 years compressor and parts from installed date with a matching ID unit, who knows they may predate that OD unit to match the initial install date, so they can get away with a little less coverage. I would ask them without going into to much detail what the OD unit will have for manufacturers warranty, then ask them for a copy for your records to prove it was indeed registered. As if never registered it could fall under a base 5 year manufacturers warranty?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazooka Joey View Post
    Post 49 you say the install date was May 2017 then in post 51 you say the manufacturer date is May 2017. I suppose that's possible, usually the manufacturer date is months or even a year or two before the system gets installed and registered.

Curious what the warranty will be on that new OD unit, may want to ask them. Typically it would be 10 years compressor and parts from installed date with a matching ID unit, who knows they may predate that OD unit to match the initial install date, so they can get away with a little less coverage. I would ask them without going into to much detail what the OD unit will have for manufacturers warranty, then ask them for a copy for your records to prove it was indeed registered. As if never registered it could fall under a base 5 year manufacturers warranty?
    Post model number and it could be settled.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    Knowing their is a TXV in the attic makes me very concerned, I was convinced a week ago that the whole thing needed to be changed and had only recently felt comfortable with only the outside unit thinking I had only one TXV.

They always spent a considerable amount of time looking at the attic unit so I would think they would have noticed that.

I did not notice an obvious reduction in performance of the unit but I've not been happy with the power savings so maybe it's been struggling. In January of 2018 I had a XR16 installed on the east side, the unit in question is the XR14 on the west side. Looking at the kw hours used I've seen no improvement with 2 new units compared to the 15+ year old American Standards they replaced. I suppose to be accurate I would really have to apply degree days to these numbers because we can have very mild winters and some summers that are not terribly hot. That means only 30 days or so above 100. My Kilowatt hours used for the years 2013 to 2018. I have a pool and a well to water with so they apply a fair bias to the numbers.
    2013 - 42811
    2014 - 45690
    2015 - 41717
    2016 - 40032 all units old American Standards 15+ years old up to this point
    2017 - 39936 XR14 installed may 2017
    2018 - 42914 XR16 installed jan 2018

I have not understood the backup heating either. I've never let the temp go more that 3 degrees below the requested temp before I go to Emer Heat. I don't know if it is supplying some heat at times or if it's my other unit's heat doing the work. The unit on the East side is larger than this unit and does about 65 percent of the first floor.

The unit has on a half dozen times over shot the temp by 2 degree's. I have patiently waited and eventually it does turn off or we get hot and select a cooler temp and it immediately
    shuts down. The techs seemed to thing that's ok. The other unit stays on the temperature I select all the time.

Post Likes
    Yes the install and manufacture month and year are the same, not too unbelievable as DFW would be the first place to see the units most likely.

The thread is getting long enough that the first post should probably be referred to as the model number and a better description of the problem is there.

The unit was purchased with a 2 yr labor 10 years parts. Now if part of that is dealer provided I don't really know.

I talked with the Trane representative and he would not commit to anything as to any problems this unit may have or if it was involved in the industry wide problem of TXV valves ( his description ). He said they were changing it out mainly to provide appropriate customer service for me having spent the winter on emergency heat. If in fact their was a problem he would be a fool to admit it anyway. He did say that he hasn't seen the issue for a couple of years as several of you have mentioned.

The dates that I posted were from a class action suit filed against Trane for this problem. I get emails all the time asking to sign up for some class action suit and I refuse to join them for 2 reasons. One is the only person that reaps a reward is the lawyer. Second if their is something to the issue I would be better off seeking something back on my own. I doubt if their is a company as large as Trane that doesn't have a class action suit active. Apple class actions suits are always good reading.

The new unit is being installed now. I guess my only concern would be if the attic TXV is bad, they say they run a solvent of some sort thru it and blow it out with nitrogen so it should be ok. We'll see I guess, we've at least narrowed down the problem a little.

I sure appreciate all the posts and information that has been provided and can't thank you all enough for taking out the time to post.

Cheers

Post Likes
    Good luck. Did this system work well the first year or has it always been questionable?

Is the Trane rep coming back for the start up?

Post Likes
    The process you describe has nothing to do with the TXV issue. This is to clean the lineset of any contamination.

The additive used to free up the TXV and dilute the system stays in the system. This an additive.

If it were me as the home owner, I would requeat the additive. You "have" a TXV issue in the outdoor unit, why would the indoor unit not be the same. Be proactive.

Your first post has model numbers, incorrect from what I recall, but no serial numbers.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    Model# 4TWR4036G1000AA) (Serial# 17186MBX4F)
    Model# TEM4A0C36S41SAA) (Serial# 17151SER3V)

Went on to the warranty site and cut and paste SN's now

Post Likes
    Your OD unit was manufacturered in 2017 the 18th week on the 6th day

Your ID unit was manufacturered in 2017 the 15th week on the 1st day

" The new unit is being installed now. I guess my only concern would be if the attic TXV is bad, they say they run a solvent of some sort thru it and blow it out with nitrogen so it should be ok. We'll see I guess, we've at least narrowed down the problem a little."

Aren't you concerned what the OD warranty will be on parts and compressor also on your new unit?

Post Likes
    "Aren't you concerned what the OD warranty will be on parts and compressor also on your new unit?" Well I guess you mean the warranty won't go from this date, no not really as long as it works. My wife was
    not a happy camper.

We have a cold spell coming up so we'll see. I'm about 90 percent confident which is as high as it's been since November.

Post Likes
    So you had a new OD unit installed today, and no one told you what the warranty is going to be on that new unit, did you ask or you don't care?

Why not register it yourself ( if they never said anything to you ) to see what you get, only needing the serial number found at the OD unit electrical data plate. I'm sure there is a online Trane web-site that homeowners can register equipment.

Post Likes
    I know the site, I pulled the data from there. I'll give them a few days and see if they enter it, if not I will do it. Thanks for all the advice. Unit worked well last night.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345