Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    Working under a building once and came across a nest of copperhead snakes, got out of there pretty fast!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    RSES Member.
    Mainstream Engineering Certified.
    HVAC/R PM Technician.
    410A, & GREEN HVAC/R Technician.
    Indoor Air Quality Master Technician.
    NATE Core.
    Working not as to please men but to the Glory of Christ my KING.

Post Likes
    Working in a basement at a house flip in the city. Changing out relief valve on a boiler and repressurizing everything. Went to grab my pipe wrench and something jumped out of the shoulder high crawl space behind me and landed opposite side of the boiler.
    .. froze for a minute as I only caught it out of the corner of my eye, then a bit later saw a long furry tail wrapping around the steam supply piping above my head dangling down. Look up to see a cat staring back at me, then he walked the piping back up into the crawl space like a tightrope actor.

GC had been trying to catch and “release” it since the first week of the flip.

Another time was out on a night service call in the sticks for an old SlantFin boiler sooting up. After replacing the nozzle filter, and strainer I went to pull the flue off and check the chimney base for any blockages. Immediately noticed two big ass furry tails hanging out of the heat exchanger black and crispy. Couple of squirrels looking for a break from the cold picked the wrong chimney.

To make it even better, when I went to check the chimney and make sure I had it all clear I found a half dozen Robin corpses buried in the soot and debris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I have found bats stuck in the oil burner blower wheel, found a few dead and cooked birds in some boilers but never came across anything living in all the times I worked on units thank God I did find a snake in an outdoor condenser once that was a trip!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    RSES Member.
    Mainstream Engineering Certified.
    HVAC/R PM Technician.
    410A, & GREEN HVAC/R Technician.
    Indoor Air Quality Master Technician.
    NATE Core.
    Working not as to please men but to the Glory of Christ my KING.

Post Likes
    Does a pheasant strained through the grille and radiator of a new 66 Corvette at 100 MPH count?

Post Likes
    Weirdest one was probably a chipmunk that somehow got chopped up by the condenser fan in my mom's air conditioner. There was chipmunk hamburger hanging off the soffits!

Post Likes
    Got a new one for me...

Old hanging horizontal oil furnace in a Girl Scout camp building. Hasn’t ran in ten years. Newer tech was out last night and got it fired up, hasn’t ran in ten years. Came back in no heat today. I pull up and see vultures up on the roof , walk into the building and immediately smell burnt hair and rotten air. Checked everything out in the burner all good, went to pull the antique stack relay....won’t move. Pop a joint on the flue and peek in with a light...dried out burnt to a crisp raccoon melted to the bimetal probe. Look the other way, blocked off flue at the chimney base with what turned out to by three raccoons burned up.

Newer tech said he heard a weird screeching noise when the burner first fired up but didn’t think anything of it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by SuckinSoot View Post
    Got a new one for me...

Old hanging horizontal oil furnace in a Girl Scout camp building. Hasn’t ran in ten years. Newer tech was out last night and got it fired up, hasn’t ran in ten years. Came back in no heat today. I pull up and see vultures up on the roof , walk into the building and immediately smell burnt hair and rotten air. Checked everything out in the burner all good, went to pull the antique stack relay....won’t move. Pop a joint on the flue and peek in with a light...dried out burnt to a crisp raccoon melted to the bimetal probe. Look the other way, blocked off flue at the chimney base with what turned out to by three raccoons burned up.

Newer tech said he heard a weird screeching noise when the burner first fired up but didn’t think anything of it.

I had another one myself. I had a drain line that i could not get unclogged last week. It was underneath a house with a long army crawl through mud to access. After trying for 30 min I realized I had to go under and cut it. After cutting the line open no water came out of either side so I knew my clog was in about a 5 ft section of PVC between unit and where I cut the line. I cut right above the 90 and i could see and smell the clog about half a inch up in the pipe. It slowly started falling out. I probably could have counted to 15 as i watched in horror what was sliding perfectly molded inside the PVC out. After it was all said and done I had a pile of about 100-300 cockroaches in a nice pile under the house. That drain started draining like a champ after i hooked it all back together

Post Likes
    If a bird gets into a flue they cant back up. Found many doing a header into the inducer. Probably stayed there until the next cycle and got a face full of "oh shyt".

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by coolperfect View Post
    In a restaurant, A live roach walking around inside the dial of a T87f right by the word Honeywell.
    Now I'm having flashbacks, from when I worked Section Eight Apartment Buildings. Had a Lady who had a Smell everytime the furnace came on. Checked the furnace ductwork, nothing. The Dryer duct was disconnected and run into one of those lint collecting buckets. Seemed the smell came from there, cleaned it. When I put it back realized it was from the Dryer duct. Found a dead Possum stuffed inside the metal flex duct. I replaced her Dry duct with rigid, installed a metal vent cap. When the Bill came, she refused to pay. We weren't a Dryer service company. yeah, I hate residential too.
    Retired, after 43 Years

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12