Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Anyone ever snag an animal with a duct cleaner?

I was doing a duct cleaning today because customer had a smell coming from their ducts and they thought they had rats pooping in the ducts. After making my way around the house I get to a duct and hit something soft. Turned out to be a huge nest. After clearing it out I moved to another register and all of a sudden the brush stopped. I put down the hose and started checking machine to make sure it was still connected. After putting the hose down I noticed the hose being sucked further into the duct. After some tug and war I was able to pull the animal to the register and it had long black and white hair. Realized I caught a large skunk. We called animal control and they wanted to do absolutely nothing about it Haha. They said if we pulled it up and it sprayed that the house would be unlivable for months. I reversed the brush and the skunk broke free. Anyone else got any crazy animal stories? https://imgur.com/a/ylx5fGX
    Last edited by Setzero; 01-14-2019 at 07:49 PM.

Post Likes
    Wow thats a close call

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Back when I first started I did residential. I went to do a "tune up" at these fairly new condos. I found a rat in the condenser, which I didnt find odd. Got the rat out with a golf club and a trash bag. Clean up the nest and so forth. Not that big of a deal. Just a pain because it was a trane condenser and for some reason they make them like a foot taller than every other unit.

When I went inside into the attic....5 dead rats strewn about along with rat shit and piss. I told the lady that she would need to get an exterminator to clean all that up before I would go up there. I showed her the pictures and she agreed. I got paid and got an extra 20 on top. Ended up getting chewed out by the owner as that lady was some personal friend. Told him that it wasnt worth getting the plague or some other disease for what he was paying me. Mind you this was and still is a fairly large residential company in San Diego.

Another time I had a furnace that wouldn't start because the pressure switch wouldn't make. Me being new I figured it was the switch. I happen to have one on my truck. Swap it out. Nothing. Ended up taking apart the inducer motor assembly only to find a fairly decomposed lizard. Luckily it wasnt fresh or else it would have been messy. Reassembled everything and it fired off. 3 hours of work for a measly 25 dollars.
    So glad I dont do residential any more.

Post Likes
    Live squirrel in an 80%er inducer. Landlord took the tenants cat cage and caught the squirrel. Few seconds later I heard the bathtub filling up, tenant wasn’t home.

Post Likes
    I went to check a house for the heat not working. Pressure switch wasn't making. I took the vent pipe off. I looked into the vent pipe and there was a pair of eyes staring at me. It was a squirrel. It got out of the vent pipe and went somewhere in the attic. I told the homeowner the heater was working but he needed to get the squirrel out of the attic.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Pnasty View Post
    Live squirrel in an 80%er inducer. Landlord took the tenants cat cage and caught the squirrel. Few seconds later I heard the bathtub filling up, tenant wasn’t home.
    Who was in the tub? Was it the cat in the hat?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I have had live birds in the flue, thought about gassing them but didn't think the heat would be very good roasting them alive. then I have a heat pump with 3 snakes wrapped around the control boards. I hate snakes.

Post Likes
    In a restaurant, A live roach walking around inside the dial of a T87f right by the word Honeywell.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by coolperfect View Post
    In a restaurant, A live roach walking around inside the dial of a T87f right by the word Honeywell.
    Only 1?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by coolperfect View Post
    That Peter Lugers place...

Post Likes
    a duck, sparrows, bats, rodentia of all types, a raccoon, had a sealed burner box completely filled with paper wasps once, a 14" boiler flue coated with thousands of stink bugs.

Post Likes
    I forgot about ants. I had a board taken out on a heat pump by ants.

Post Likes
    pulled a duck out a flue few months ago.

once noticed a leaking water heater in corner of room I was in. looked under it and little frog was sitting there in the puddle.

cats in crawl on ducts, who hasn't?
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast