Post Likes

Heil heatpump issues

Communicating system with observer thermostat

G9MAE propane furnace

HVH8 heat pump/ac unit

I have been having issue with my heat pump and recently got an error of high pressure lockout so I called my installer and he told me that he would have to run a three hour test on the unit......

Shows up and goes right to the tstat and says oh I have a setting wrong this should fix it. he said the time between fuels was set at 15 min and he changed it to 25. At this point he said he cant do a real test on it till the spring when he can run it in cooling mode. He keeps refering back to his supply house for testing results and diag which I find odd because he is the owner of his HVAC company, why would the supply house have anything to do with his testing and diag?

I am currently on my third tstat, this one I have to set to the inside air offset to -5 to get the temp to read the same as various other thermometers and also humidity to -10% otherwise it read high as well. My installer said there was a firmware that would fix this but it did nothing.

I generally keep my system running at a constant 68 degrees in heating and leave it there, the heat pump is set to run down to 25F before locking out to propane, and the cycles per hour is set to 4

I went with this system 2 years ago because it seemed like a great value for the the money considering I got quoted on some in house brands and some high end lennox systems that double and triple the the price.

Can I get some advice from the heat pump pro's on how to dial in this thermostat, i know opinions are going to vary but any general advice is appreciated

Post Likes
    Wouldn't your thermostat read correctly a high pressure lockout, if so aren't you concerned what's causing the high pressure lockout situation? The Contractor made an adjustment from 15 to 25 minutes ( I personally do not know what that means )

Sounds like this problem has been a long time problem if your on your 3rd thermostat, and you and your Contractor has been spinning your wheels even with the supply house technical support from Heil?

Can't they dumb down your system ( remove communicating, humidity sensor etc ) to get it to work as a basic Hybrid system, just to see if system works OK, then ramp up adding the humidity and communicating as a step procedure.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazooka Joey View Post
    Wouldn't your thermostat read correctly a high pressure lockout, if so aren't you concerned what's causing the high pressure lockout situation? The Contractor made an adjustment from 15 to 25 minutes ( I personally do not know what that means )

Sounds like this problem has been a long time problem if your on your 3rd thermostat, and you and your Contractor has been spinning your wheels. Get Heil Technical Support involved.

Can't you dumb down your system ( remove communicating, humidity sensor etc ) to get it to work as a basic Hybrid system, just to see if system works OK, then ramp up adding the humidity and communicating as a step procedure. You seem to like to tinker.
    Hello I guess I am unclear of the intent of your post. My thermostat did read an error for high pressure lock out which is why I called the contractor, so yes I am concern about it. Second he stated there is a setting in the thermostat that selects the minimum run time between fuels which on his arrival was set to 15 minutes, he said he must not have changed it when the last thermostat was installed. He changed this to 25 minutes.

The reason the thermostat has been replaced so many times is because none of them have been able to give an accurate temp reading. they all want to read 4 to 5 degrees higher than actual.

I have contacted Heil as well both via phone and email and get refereed back to the contractor. Trust me I am not trying to tinker with anything more then I have to but you have to understand my frustration.

Post Likes
    Any Manufacturers Tech. Services typically do not deal with homeowners, just Contractors.

So what did the Contractor find as the cause of your Heat Pump locking out.

Maybe the air coming out of the hole ( t-stat wire penetration if hard wire ) behind the thermostat is warm and is affecting the readings?

Hopefully they can figure it out before the labor warranty period is up, even if you bought a extended labor warranty...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazooka Joey View Post
    Any Manufacturers Tech. Services typically do not deal with homeowners, just Contractors.

So what did the Contractor find as the cause of your Heat Pump locking out.

Maybe the air coming out of the hole ( t-stat wire penetration if hard wire ) behind the thermostat is warm and is affecting the readings?

Hopefully they can figure it out before the labor warranty period is up, even if you bought a extended labor warranty...
    Honestly I dunno if he found out the cause, he walked in went right to the thermostat and said oh looks like I didnt set this value up last time (time in between fuels), he said the pressures according to the tstat readout looked normal then went downstairs put his hand on the refrigerant line going into the upper case and said wow this is really hot it should be putting out some good heat. he said try that and lets see how it goes.

since he left just at noon EST the system has ran non stop all day 5 mins on heat pump then switches to propane without ever shutting down which run for 10 mins and then back to heat pump

Post Likes
    Since he left just at noon EST the system has ran non stop all day 5 mins on heat pump then switches to propane without ever shutting down which run for 10 mins and then back to heat pump.

If he put his hand on the upper case upstream of the indoor HP coil and that case is insulated on the inside there must be a lot of heat in there, ( guessing that was during propane use ? ) meaning if your statement is true about the HP running 5 minutes then switches to propane for 10 then back to HP without any cooling down period before the HP comes on, that may be a possible reason it's tripping on a high pressure situation? As you mentioned he said " Wow this is really hot "

Odd if the HP locks out at 25 that it switched back and forth quickly, unless due to the unit being off then turning it back on?

Post Likes
    The observer is not the best for dual fuel systems, had one on mine for a short period of time. Ask your contractor to get his technical service adviser at his distributor to approve to switch the observer for the ion control. It provides much better control in dual fuel.

Your system is a modulating propane furnace with a 5stage inverter heatpump and if not properly charged in cooling mode would cause the high pressure switch to trip in heating.

Your contractor can verify that the pressures are within the manufacturer charted specs during the winter but will need to do the final adjustment in the cooling season if any adjustment is made during the winter. It is very easy to set the refrigerant level incorrectly if the technician does not verify that the compressor is at the highest rpm not really solely that the thermostat states stage 5. Takes about 30 minutes before you want to adjust to proper subcool. Then if adjustment is made waiting an additional 30 minutes to make sure the subcool is stable at required amount.

Thevsystem you have is a highly advanced system but requires proper training and understanding to set up properly.

Get the ion thermostat, get the pressures checked according to chart.