Post Likes

New Construction, Split ductless doesn't seem to be efficient in bonus room

Closed on a new construction room a month ago, upstairs bonus room (300 sq ft) above the garage (actually the only room that's insulated from top to bottom). They installed a mini split for the bonus room, a Daikin Series 17.... Got several concerns and I'm hoping you guys could give me some insight before I make a phone to the AC company that I don't want to for using a inferior product.

First, the home builder initially told me the remote would act as my thermostat.... huh, wrong, there's a heat sensor on the unit. Took me a while to figure out how to really control the unit because the remote uses infrared so it has to be pointing exactly at the unit, may sound petty but even my TV remotes don't even have to be pointing directly at the TV. I can deal with all that though if the unit operated as I feel it should but it doesn't.

Set to heat, set on 70, go to work was a little warm that day. Got home, heat still running, temp in the room is 77! tried this one a few times, same result. Someone said that the heat wasn't actually on, just blowing out air so the heat sensor can read it (kinda sounds like BS).....

So this time I set it on Auto, 70. This was at night time and apparently the unit sensed it was hotter than 70 because the AC turned on (my temp gauge I have was showing it at 70 already). No biggie, I go to bed, wake up the next morning... AC still on and it's reading 66 Again, this happened more than once.

Last Wed I finally called them, and explained maybe I just don't' know what I'm doing but the heat is on 70 but it's 66 in the room..... Also the indoor unit has shut off a few times throwing error code A6 (Indoor Fan Abnormal) Tech came out within the hour, only issue he can't figure out it is why the fan wouldn't change speed. That was on heat, I showed him how it operated at all speeds in FAN mode and AC mode...... Says the air coming out is fine with the temperature. He said he was going to contact a Dakin rep and get back with me, no word yet..... I could care less if the temp coming out of the fan is 70, it's not heating the room!

I'd like opinions about the issue but I'd like to talk about this split units... I need this room to stay at whatever temp I set it at... The rest of the house does it with the other unit, this should be able to as well. Are these systems worth the hassle? Would it be better to see about having ductwork ran to this room and tying it into the main system? Does it sound like I got a POS?

Thanks, sorry if this sounds like a rant, guess it kind is. haha

Post Likes
    Where are you located?
    Yes you have to point it at the unit, change temp, usually listen for the beep.
    The remote controls the unit but isn’t your thermostat.
    The unit always moves air to sense/control temperature.
    I’m not a fan of them, but this is one case where they are probably the best option.
    Obviously something is either wrong with the unit, or the wrong parameters are being selected.
    Uh...Google it yourself!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by STEVEusaPA View Post
    Where are you located?
    Yes you have to point it at the unit, change temp, usually listen for the beep.
    The remote controls the unit but isn’t your thermostat.
    The unit always moves air to sense/control temperature.
    I’m not a fan of them, but this is one case where they are probably the best option.
    Obviously something is either wrong with the unit, or the wrong parameters are being selected.
    I'm in South Carolina, the coldest it has got in the past week was about 24 a few nights ago. Other than that it's been between 30-50.

The unit moving air - it seems to do that a lot!! I mean it will blow out a small burst over and over again and not stop. Seems like major wear and tear on the fan for it keep doing that.... It's interesting you say you're not a fan (I love hearing people's opinion against a product) but say it's probably the best option..... So in your opinion I should be able to keep the room at the temp I set it at?

Last night after writing this post I went and got my space heater which has temp sensor as well, set it on 75 and stuck it in the corner of the room. It was able to bring the room to the temp and humidity level it needed to be at and it doesn't need to blow air to test it. Guess I assumed this split unit would do the same, not bashing the product in that sense, more my tunnel vision thinking.

I'm not sure how much longer I should give the AC company before calling them back, it's been since Wednesday and I haven't heard anything. I did call Friday and let the girl know about it shutting off more and more and throwing the code.

Post Likes
    Minis try to maintain the temperature by ramping up and down matching the heat load / loss. Compressor, fans all change speed as needed.

Get the contractor back, somethings not set up properly!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Minis try to maintain the temperature by ramping up and down matching the heat load / loss. Compressor, fans all change speed as needed.

Get the contractor back, somethings not set up properly!
    Having said that, I turned my space heater off early this morning and it's maintained a temp of 72. Hasn't been 72 in this room in about a week. So minis won't heat or cool only maintain?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by holeshot1982 View Post
    Having said that, I turned my space heater off early this morning and it's maintained a temp of 72. Hasn't been 72 in this room in about a week. So minis won't heat or cool only maintain?
    NO.
    They try and match the heat Load / Loss of the room! Running faster or slower as needed!

Post Likes
    Just an update: Guys came back out last Thursday, according to them the refrigerant was up to the right pressure so it wasn't allowing the fan inside to come on (not sure why they couldn't see that the first time.) so he basically drained and refilled the system. I asked about a possible leak and he said he didn't so, something about not being able to fill the properly in cold weather was probably the original issue. However they did tell me they found one of the ends were a little loose so they tighten that up.....

Since then I've left it in auto mode on 70 degrees and it's done a great job. Hope it holds