Post Likes

How to get BBMD's through an IP Router

Hello, I have been in the controls world for a long time. I have installed and serviced many systems. Recently, I decided to do some testing on setup up a little IP network with two subnets and communicating across the subnets using BBMD's. I have setup many systems with BBMD's in commercial buildings with real professional IT guys. I have never had a problem setting up the systems as everything always communicated fine.

Well I am finding out that the IT guys must be setting up some special routing in the IP routers that I am unaware of. I am using cheap little (and this is probably my problem) domestic IP routers. I can't get the BBMD's to pass through the IP routers.

I have two IP routers with subnets of 192.168.11.0/24 and 192.1.10.0/24. I can't ping the devices from one network to the other. I have set up all the routing tables in the cheap little routers (and have edited them a gazillion times trying to get it to work) I can't get the information to pass. I replaced the firmware with tomato on one IP router hoping I could get it to work. I just ordered a better router hoping to get through this situation. I am setting this system up for learning purposes.

Any thoughts or suggestions, perhaps on which routers and firmware to use. I am very familiar with setting up BBMD's, it could be easier. But I am missing the secret sauce to get the information through IP routers.

Post Likes
    Port blocking by default in the routers? What ports is your system using?

That's the first thing coming to mind in 30 seconds, anyway.

Ken