Post Likes

Honeywell zone issue

Good morning fellow technicians. Im new to the forums here. I'm am relatively new to the HVAC field (2yrs) and have recently accepted a technician position for a local property management company.
    I have ran into an issue recently with an installed Honeywell zone system. When I first laid eyes on this system I thought to myself why in the world. It appears the owners of this apartment building hired a contractor to build a wall through the middle of a 4 br apt, one half is now a 2 br and the other is a 1 br. The contractor upon owners request installed a Honeywell HZ322 zone board and refabricated the plenum adding 2- 10" round pipe with dampers and actuators.
    Ok I see what they were trying to do here..the owners wanted to save a little money and use the main heat/AC source to control both apartments byeans of zone system. The issue that I see with this setup is: the 2br is supposed to be the so called mother thermostat and the 1br is the secondary thermostat, therefore the mother thermostat determines by setting if the unit is to run in heat or AC... however I discovered that this is not the case. Friday the 2br had their thermostat set to *72 calling for heat (hydronics) and the 1br apt was hot so they set their thermostat to call for AC. In theory the mother thermostat determines which mode to operate in, however yes the furnace was running and making heat as was the AC running.

Not familiar with zoning systems I am initially thought is was a zone board malfunction but upon inspection of the other 10 apartments I discovered the same issue.....any ideas how to resolve this issue whithout a major overhaul? Can the zone board be reprogrammed to only call for heat or AC by the primary thermostat?

Post Likes
    That board cant call for both at the same time.

Might want to get a more senior tech on site with you!

Post Likes
    While that zone panel can switch from heat to cool, or cool to heat as each zone needs. It doesn't call for both at the same time. After the first thermostat is satisfied, it goes into a delay before switching to the opposite mode for the next zone. It is not a Slave/master, or leader/member system.

It and or the thermostats are wired wrong.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    I found the installation instructions online and have downloaded it to be printed off, I will definitely check the wiring, something is definitely amiss. I did notice online that the install instructions show only a small handful of thermostats are compatible with this board.. I'll definitely check that out as well.

Post Likes
    Heating takes seniority over Ac. Zone board will satisfy heat demand before ac demand.........

Post Likes
    Sounds awesome to have two apartments sharing a single split system. You will most likely have nothing but trouble with this set up. Best thing you can probably do is to keep minimum cooling and maximum heating set points are close on both thermostats. This way one unit isn’t fighting or waiting for the other to satisfy.

Post Likes
    I thought that the honeywell zone control had a setting in it that would only allow one zone to run a predetermined time IF another zone was calling for the opposite mode. For example zone 1 wants cooling and zone 2 is satisfied z1 will start cooling but if z2 calls for heat z1 is now only allowed x (lets say 20 minutes) amount of run time then it will give z2 the same amount of run time unless z1 was/is satisfied. If z1 was/is not satisfied then the zone control will continue to switch back and forth every 20 minutes. The 20 (x) minutes is adjustable in the zone control setup. I honestly do not remember the times.

Post Likes
    You stated the heating system was a hydronic system. Is the system a separate boiler with radiators or in line heat exchanger mounted in the air conditioning ducting. if it is the former you should be able to separate the heating circuitry from the cooling and alleviate any conflicts in the zone board. Although, it has been my experience with honeywell boards that heating always takes precedent over cooling. Good luck