Post Likes

heat pump defrost problem?

We have a new heat pump and I’m wondering if it is defrosting as it should. My wife said the unit was making a noise this morning so I went outside to take a look. The unit is completely covered in frost and ice inside. We did have an ice storm overnight with a little ice on trees but it has ended now and the outside temp now is around 32. Shouldn’t it be clear of ice and frost if the defroster is working?

Post Likes
    Is it time or temperature defrost?

Still getting heat without the auxiliary?

Post Likes
    dont know how it's set for the defrost cycle.

the temp setting is being maintained but I dont know if it's from auxiliary heat or a combination. I cant tell when the auxiliary heat is on since there is no indicator on the T-stat when it's in operation. If I happen to be standing near a vent when it's in auxiliary mode than I can tell, otherwise I dont know.

Post Likes
    Pictures would be helpful since the pattern of ice can be telling of what's going on.

If you have clear ice on the outside of coil guard (sides of the unit) or fan guard (top of unit), that's due to the weather and no amount of defrosting will get that off. I suggest gently breaking it off with a stick or warm water.

If the entire coil looks like it has a thin layer of freezer burn on it, it could be that the unit is nearing time for defrost or the defrost cycle wasn't enough to get all the frost off, which can happen in conditions with freezing rain/sleet. A defrost cycle or refrigerant issue is possible too.

If the coil has a thick layer of freezer burn or ice on the inside of the coil (looking down into the unit), there's likely an issue with the defrost cycle or a refrigerant problem.

And finally, if there's thin bands of thick freezer burn wrapping around the coil, that can also indicate a refrigerant issue.

Post Likes
    If electric back up the meter will be really spinning!

Post Likes
    Service tech is on his way.

Post Likes
    Defrost is set on temp, not time to answer that ?.

Noise probably came from icicles dropping into fan blades.

Unit appears to be running correctly. Tech checked defrost, heat strips, etc and all looks good.

Many thanks for the usual quick responses. Appreciate you guys.

Post Likes
    Its most likely time and temp defrost. The other option is on demand.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?