Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Likes

Manifold and hose set up-Light Commercial Refrigeration

What's up guys. I'm currently working service for a manufacturer that makes merchandisers, prep tables, chef bases, upright reach ins, etc. All stand alone units. 1/4 to 1 hp compressors. I've only been at it for 2 months, so if these questions are dumb....well just let me know heh.

My question is what's your manifold gauge and hose setup? I currently have a 3 port manifold gauge and find it annoying. I'm thinking about getting a stand alone compound gauge for checking charge and diagnostics, and getting a four port for dealing with things like compressor or evap could replacements. Part of my desire comes from the fact that during a compressor change there's a bunch of different processes. Recovery, evacuation, nitro purge, and charging.

In addition during the compressor change I'm recovering from a bullet valve which has no depresser, but on the replacement I braze in a shrader valve and leak check/vac/charge through that. Is there any sort of hose or attachment that has both ends (depressor/non depressor)? Or some way to overcome the fact that l need two different hoses here?

Post Likes
    http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/ye...0aAgsVEALw_wcB

These are great for critical charge have two sets unless your into digital probes nothing better. Be careful using a four valve on small equipment most of those blocks hold half if not more of your charge. As for your depressor remove your depressor on your hoses and use 6” ball valves and hoses.
    Honeywell you can buy better but you cant pay more

I told my wife when i die to sell my fishing stuff for what its worth not what i told her i paid for it

Post Likes
    The last thing you want to do is gauge up. Use a thermometer / Amp probe first.

Post Likes
    I mostly use stubby gauges (a gauge with no hose) for diagnostic work. Then I have dedicated rigs for recovery and vacuum. If I do use a manifold gauge set I have a couple of the common threeport Yellow Jackets.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by crazzycajun View Post
    http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/ye...0aAgsVEALw_wcB

These are great for critical charge have two sets unless your into digital probes nothing better. Be careful using a four valve on small equipment most of those blocks hold half if not more of your charge. As for your depressor remove your depressor on your hoses and use 6” ball valves and hoses.
    Thanks on both suggestions, that type of gauge is exactly what I'm looking for. Do you use a T set up with it when you pull vacuum or charge? The ball valves are the simplest way to fix my other problem as well-thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    The last thing you want to do is gauge up. Use a thermometer / Amp probe first.
    Yep, first tool I use in every stop is eyes and ears.

Post Likes
    I USE A TESTO, AMP PROBE

Post Likes
    I know to check amps guys. I'm not talking diagnostics here, I'm talking about when a compressor is obviously down for the count and I gotta do the things I need to do like recover, pressure test, vac, and charge. Seems the set up I have now is more difficult than it should be with a three hose manifold. I like the idea of the stubbies and ball valved hoses. Still got my eye on the JB four port manifold with ball valves on every port tho... Used em in school, loved em.

Post Likes
    https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread...is-in-the-hose

Look at icemeister responses in this thread on calculating charge.

I told my wife when i die to sell my fishing stuff for what its worth not what i told her i paid for it

Post Likes
    Maybe I’m not picturing what scope of equipment your working on I’ve been in this trade over 20yrs and I would rather take an ass whooping than work on something that holds less than a pound of refer. That being said the, smallest hoses, manifold you name it to where guesswork on the charge is a non issue. If your working on larger equipment than my apologies by all means get a 4 valve other than larger hoses and block I really didn’t find them that helpful but I do like a sh*t ton of tools as well

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyZ View Post
    I know to check amps guys. I'm not talking diagnostics here, I'm talking about when a compressor is obviously down for the count and I gotta do the things I need to do like recover, pressure test, vac, and charge. Seems the set up I have now is more difficult than it should be with a three hose manifold. I like the idea of the stubbies and ball valved hoses. Still got my eye on the JB four port manifold with ball valves on every port tho... Used em in school, loved em.
    For recovery whats easier except a single hose?

Post Likes
    Never owned a 4 port gauge set!

The last facility had one lost a lot of charges because of them

Post Likes
    The Mfrg does not supply in-house tools and test equipment? The Mfrg is relying on you to figure out how to change a comp? The Mfrg does not have an in-house procedure for changing comps? So if I see a Schrader access fitting on a new unit I can bet that this unit had a dead comp? Just asking.

Post Likes
    ^1 hose for recovery eh? You're talking using the stubby on the unit and going direct to the recovery machine? I think I'm liking that idea more and more.

Quote Originally Posted by crazzycajun View Post
    Maybe I’m not picturing what scope of equipment your working on I’ve been in this trade over 20yrs and I would rather take an ass whooping than work on something that holds less than a pound of refer. That being said the, smallest hoses, manifold you name it to where guesswork on the charge is a non issue. If your working on larger equipment than my apologies by all means get a 4 valve other than larger hoses and block I really didn’t find them that helpful but I do like a sh*t ton of tools as well
    Less than one pounds all I'm working on, ain't that bad hehe. Upon reflection the 4 valve does seem a tad wasteful and more than I need.

Part of the issue is my current setup I need a minimum of 4 hoses, 3 without depressors and one with for the process of a compressor change, that's if I had to recover with bullet and pressurize/vac/charge through shrader. The depressor hose gets moved around and I feel like high and low side hoses shouldn't have to be switched around. If I put that six inch hose with ball valve on the low side hose I think that would simplify things. And allow me to have to use only 3 hoses and not have to switch hoses around.

With regards to charging critical charge systems, I've not had any problems (yet). I purge the hose connected from tank to gauge with refrigerant and zero out the scale. As far as I know every oz the scale reads should be exactly what the unit recieves going this way.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast