Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Likes
    Welcome to the real world.
    Let the education begin!

Post Likes
    Thank you pecmsg, the real education has just begun. It's pretty cool to have real feedback here from knowledgeable guys.

Post Likes
    There's a Pro side in this forum get there.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyZ View Post
    Thank you pecmsg, the real education has just begun. It's pretty cool to have real feedback here from knowledgeable guys.
    I learned from Crackertech and he knows nothing!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    I learned from Crackertech and he knows nothing!
    He just forgot everything he knew

Like why there's a D in frigDe and not in refrigerator !

Post Likes
    OK, this is what we have here. OK you can get away with doing things your way and most times you got away w/ it. OK but most of us here live in the real world where knowing what hiside press actually is,is a necessary part of Troubleshooting Info needed to help figure out what is wrong w/ a given system. OK so that why there are two gauges on a manifold set.

Check out this Sporlan Form #10-135,,,"Using The P-T Chart As A Tool".OK?

Post Likes
    Hey Terry, thanks for the lead on the PT chart and info. I do know how to use a PT chart, in fact I still have one in my binder in school from Sporlan.

I'm being trained in light commercial refrigeration that involves very small machines. Never once have I hooked up to high side for pressure check. There simply has not been a need. The only reason I hook up a gauge is if I suspect there is low charge, and that is on the low side. Add a few ounces, system improves, we have a leak and proceed finding the leak and either patching it up and or replacing component, and go through the whole rigamarole that is required to give critical charge. That's a last resort by the way, once the system is opened, more than likely there is a problem somewhere, a leak. These systems require 8.4 oz, 11.9 oz, etc, no need to go liquid in the high side for speed. High pressure, what causes that? In my work, it's dirty condenser, CFM issue, etc. Whatever it is it's easily seen and taken care of before the gauges go on. Do I need to check for condensables? Nope. If there are condensables there is a leak and the whole system is being evacuated anyway. The ONLY time I'm hooking up is to add refrigerant (don't worry, it's not a top off and leave). While I'm there I check out pressure drop to assess compressor valve health but that's after it's decided there's probably a leak. What's the sign of a leak? Poor performance after all the obvious options have been exhausted (dirty coil, bad fan, leaky gaskets, etc.). There are signs as well, for instance a freezer rarely has issue with evap coil leaks, but a prep table storing acidic things like sauces meat or whatever (Asian, Mexican restaurants) tend to have corroding affects on the coil. If the coil coating paint is chipped we have a winner, I check there first, sometimes I get lucky on the first bend.

That's my "real world". I'm going by my training. In school I used both sides, and yes it's useful. It's not useful in the work I'm doing tho.

Post Likes
    Hey Terry, thanks for the lead on the PT chart and info. I do know how to use a PT chart, in fact I still have one in my binder in school from Sporlan.

I'm being trained in light commercial refrigeration that involves very small machines. Never once have I hooked up to high side for pressure check. There simply has not been a need. The only reason I hook up a gauge is if I suspect there is low charge, and that is on the low side. Add a few ounces, system improves, we have a leak and proceed finding the leak and either patching it up and or replacing component, and go through the whole rigamarole that is required to give critical charge. That's a last resort by the way, once the system is opened, more than likely there is a problem somewhere, a leak. These systems require 8.4 oz, 11.9 oz, etc, no need to go liquid in the high side for speed. High pressure, what causes that? In my work, it's dirty condenser, CFM issue, etc. Whatever it is it's easily seen and taken care of before the gauges go on. Do I need to check for condensables? Nope. If there are condensables there is a leak and the whole system is being evacuated anyway. The ONLY time I'm hooking up is to add refrigerant (don't worry, it's not a top off and leave). While I'm there I check out pressure drop to assess compressor valve health but that's after it's decided there's probably a leak. What's the sign of a leak? Poor performance after all the obvious options have been exhausted (dirty coil, bad fan, leaky gaskets, etc.). There are signs as well, for instance a freezer rarely has issue with evap coil leaks, but a prep table storing acidic things like sauces meat or whatever (Asian, Mexican restaurants) tend to have corroding affects on the coil. If the coil coating paint is chipped we have a winner, I check there first, sometimes I get lucky on the first bend.

That's my "real world". I'm going by my training. In school I used both sides, and yes it's useful. It's not useful in the work I'm doing tho.
    I’ll review after the game!

Post Likes
    Oh boy, I've a feeling ya might find some holes, or leaks I should say haha.

Post Likes
    And I wish I could edit my previous post cos it sounds a bit arrogant. The company I work for has me doing things their way. It ain't my way. I'm fascinated by these machines for now, but my 6'2" 220 lb self knows that one day I'll get tired of crawling into chef bases to find evap coil leaks. When I get tired of all that and get into grocery refrigeration (at that magical 2 to 5 years experience every company seems to require) most definitely I'll be open to checking the high side. You guys should have seen my face my first day when my got to a place and no access valves were present. Never saw that in school. The education never ends.

Post Likes
    And I wish I could edit my previous post cos it sounds a bit arrogant. The company I work for has me doing things their way. It ain't my way. I'm fascinated by these machines for now, but my 6'2" 220 lb self knows that one day I'll get tired of crawling into chef bases to find evap coil leaks. When I get tired of all that and get into grocery refrigeration (at that magical 2 to 5 years experience every company seems to require) most definitely I'll be open to checking the high side. You guys should have seen my face my first day when my got to a place and no access valves were present. Never saw that in school. The education never ends.
    With that $hit you’ll go far.
    Myself
    45+ years
    Best education was markets then this site b

Post Likes
    Markets and restaurants are good$$$$$$ and education unfortunately I spent most of my money on booze and counseling
    Honeywell you can buy better but you cant pay more

I told my wife when i die to sell my fishing stuff for what its worth not what i told her i paid for it

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234