Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    There is probably no record of any water maintenance, I think they gave up on that when somebody retired!

As for circulating cleaner, I have thought of that, but if a few tubes are restricted more, who knows how they will clean, to get flow through them you would need to pump a lot, especially if all the ones that are flowing good get clean?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by thomas m View Post
    There is probably no record of any water maintenance, I think they gave up on that when somebody retired!

As for circulating cleaner, I have thought of that, but if a few tubes are restricted more, who knows how they will clean, to get flow through them you would need to pump a lot, especially if all the ones that are flowing good get clean?
    May take a whole weekend for each boiler.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by thomas m View Post
    "You need to punch the water side and clean the tubes and the noise will disappear. "

I agree, but how do you recommend doing that on 1983 Unilux flexible water tube boilers?
    I may be wrong on this but where I work we have quite a few massive steam and boiler plants (power houses). I have had the opportunity to assist the main power house guys with the process of removing, cleaning, replacing, or reinstalling the tubes. It takes specialized tools but we access the main manifold where all the tubes are mounted. And remove the tube clamps, then with proper tooling pop the tubes out of the manifolds, the tubes are then power brushed and cleaned or replaced as needed. We then reinstall the tubes back into the manifold with another set of special tooling. Not easy work.
    I just dug up something similar to what we were doing on-line here:
    https://www.bryanboilers.com/pdfs/In...%20rev%201.pdf

Post Likes
    It should have a barometric. Need to open it up and rod it and replace as needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    These boilers are installed in an attic, I think barometric dampers wouldn't make much of a difference here.

Post Likes
    How else can you maintain the proper draft? Draft is always changing.

I have barometrics installed on equipment described like yours

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I was taught that mineral deposits build up and form a layer over the metal. The layer traps the transfer of heat causing that problem.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TechmanTerry View Post
    I was taught that mineral deposits build up and form a layer over the metal. The layer traps the transfer of heat causing that problem.
    That is absolutely right! seen it happen all the time, call a company that specializes in boilers, the tubes could be cleaned using a machine, by hand or using chemicals as last resource.
    There is not better place for the working men than the union! 100% UA the only HVAC union!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TechmanTerry View Post
    I learned this early on in my hydronic days with the infamous Munchkin modcons. Those things drove me nutty with the 100% failure rate of the HX.

https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?1550051

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12