Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    Although I much prefer my corded H-10's - I had my portable's battery replaced once. After that I discovered that keeping it plugged into a 120V inverter in the truck whenever I wasn't using it solved all my battery problems. <g>

PHM
    ---------------
    I've heard of guys using battery keepers too. A tool like a simple leak detector which needs to be looked after on a daily basis that doesn't get used on a daily basis is not for me.

I've also wondered if the battery is fine it just needs to be cycled more. It could be fooling me with the green charged light.

We had a similar thing with the kids RC car. I got used maybe ten times than sat on a shelf for a long time. We went to use it after the long period of inactivity, charged up the batteries and the car fizzeled after a very short run. Took to Google and was recommended to run the battery through several charge and discharge cycles and it would probably come back to life which it did. Every cycle got better and better.

Just this last time here with me checking voltage and when the lights change it is holding charge longer. Before I would plug it in and it would show green... good after a minute or so. Take it off the charger and it would show red... low after a minute or so. When I left it the charging cycle had extended several minutes.

This is a $500 leak detector with a crappy $10 battery. Seems like it was designed to be a bench tester and not something for the field. Luckily the battery design issue looks like something easy to redo until a better handheld comes out.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    I've heard of guys using battery keepers too. A tool like a simple leak detector which needs to be looked after on a daily basis that doesn't get used on a daily basis is not for me.

I've also wondered if the battery is fine it just needs to be cycled more. It could be fooling me with the green charged light.

We had a similar thing with the kids RC car. I got used maybe ten times than sat on a shelf for a long time. We went to use it after the long period of inactivity, charged up the batteries and the car fizzeled after a very short run. Took to Google and was recommended to run the battery through several charge and discharge cycles and it would probably come back to life which it did. Every cycle got better and better.

Just this last time here with me checking voltage and when the lights change it is holding charge longer. Before I would plug it in and it would show green... good after a minute or so. Take it off the charger and it would show red... low after a minute or so. When I left it the charging cycle had extended several minutes.

This is a $500 leak detector with a crappy $10 battery. Seems like it was designed to be a bench tester and not something for the field. Luckily the battery design issue looks like something easy to redo until a better handheld comes out.
    Different types of batteries have different charging and 'memory' cycles...

The battery in my H-10 (not PRO) is a sealed lead acid... they prefer to NOT be deeply discharged, they loose capacity when they are.
    A NiCad or NiMHd battery (cordless tools before LiOn) were the opposite... keep them charged... and they lost their memory of depth of charge (fizzled quickly). Cycle them repeatedly and they get their memory back.
    LiOn batteries do not seem to have much memory issues... however NEVER discharge them below 20-25%... as it damages the internals of the battery. Little known fact: taking a LiOn battery too low... is the main cause of battery fires. The internal damage from repeatedly taking the battery below 20-25
    % is what causes the battery to heat up and start on fire.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

Post Likes
    I can't understand why they went through a redesign and didn't use a Li-Ion battery pack.

Makes no sense. Smaller, lighter, longer shelf life, etc.

Crazy. It's the only reason I don't own one.

Post Likes
    If it runs on 12v why not try to make a receiver for a quality battery that you would have for other tools anyway.

Such as a Milwaukee m12?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by heatingman View Post
    If it runs on 12v why not try to make a receiver for a quality battery that you would have for other tools anyway.

Such as a Milwaukee m12?

Great idea!
    -----Stop, step back, relax and have another go at it.-----

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian8383 View Post
    I can't understand why they went through a redesign and didn't use a Li-Ion battery pack.

Makes no sense. Smaller, lighter, longer shelf life, etc.

Crazy. It's the only reason I don't own one.
    Yeah... when I read the comments from the article referenced to BB...
    Thought about asking Bacharack why they do not put a LiOn battery pack in the unit???

Then figured they would just ignore me... since if they wanted to answer that question... it would already be done.

Maybe one of the techie types at Bacharack had a Note 7 problem...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by heatingman View Post

Such as a Milwaukee m12?

I'm getting to old for this ****
    I do have a shell from a USB to M12 though lol

Post Likes
    I'm getting to old for this ****
    I do have a shell from a USB to M12 though lol
    You can buy an m18 battery adapter. Found a few on eBay. That with a buck converter regulated to 12V would be wonderful. The power tool batteries have built in protection so you won't have to worry about discharging it too far.
    Probably could do the whole shot for under $30.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Milwaukee...kAAOSwAnlblZzw
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-DC-Adjus...K0i22JwsHZVW6w
    -----Stop, step back, relax and have another go at it.-----

Post Likes
    Heavy and won't fit

Post Likes
    Heavy and won't fit
    I know people who fit that description.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Only time I have a problem with the batter is in a big store and I have to check the whole store for a PM.

For any smaller system it's fine, I plug it in my van after every use. I have found if you unplug it when the charge light turns green, then a few hours later plug it in again it charges quite a bit more. If you look in the manual they tell you to charge it in multiple steps.

I would be very interested in upgrading it to li ion if it would all fit in the case.
    Worry is a really gross misuse of one's imagination. -- PHM

Post Likes
    I got everything just need some time to mess with it. Batteries (3) are charged. The charger will charge all sizes just about so I might get some other batteries.

Post Likes
    Extension cords rock.
    If you were a real tech, you'd solder a relay on that board and call it good to go.

I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

I use 56% silver on everything except steel.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast