Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    The RTV on the inner hole is just what a few Vent Manufactures have approved, and will be a good procedure to follow if you are having issues with an inspector about drilling B-vent.

As others have noted and used, doing nothing to plugging the hole with a bolt are viable and safe options, depending on the situation.
    Instead of learning the tricks of the trade, learn the trade.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rundawg View Post
    The RTV on the inner hole is just what a few Vent Manufactures have approved, and will be a good procedure to follow if you are having issues with an inspector about drilling B-vent.

As others have noted and used, doing nothing to plugging the hole with a bolt are viable and safe options, depending on the situation.
    if the manufacturer recommends using high temperature RTV on the inner hole then that is what should be done .....
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacskills View Post
    if the manufacturer recommends using high temperature RTV on the inner hole then that is what should be done .....
    You wont get any argument from me on that point.
    Instead of learning the tricks of the trade, learn the trade.

Post Likes

Minor change

Quote Originally Posted by David Goodman View Post
    Dave Ritchardson from NCI had suggested using a bolt just long enough to go past the inner pipe.

Put a dab of RTV on the tip to smear around the hole, and screw it in. High temp metal tape over the bolt head.

Forgive me Dave if I have not been following your suggestion properly.

Same thing for metal concentric vents. Just takes a longer bolt.
    Use a stainless steel bolt. Also, Bacharach now makes rubber tapered hole plugs specifically for this application. Some B vent manufacturers recommend drilling a larger hole on the outer pipe and a smaller hole on the inner pipe so you can use knockout snap in plugs to seal the holes. National Comfort Institute offers training on Combustion Efficiency and Carbon Monoxide safety in which you can learn more on this topic. Class information can be found at https://www.nationalcomfortinstitute...ex.cfm?pid=943

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bright1135 View Post
    Use a stainless steel bolt. Also, Bacharach now makes rubber tapered hole plugs specifically for this application. Some B vent manufacturers recommend drilling a larger hole on the outer pipe and a smaller hole on the inner pipe so you can use knockout snap in plugs to seal the holes. National Comfort Institute offers training on Combustion Efficiency and Carbon Monoxide safety in which you can learn more on this topic. Class information can be found at https://www.nationalcomfortinstitute...ex.cfm?pid=943
    Thank you, Justin.

I had planned to attend the class again in Las Vegas, but it was cancelled because I was the only person who registered. It was updated like this that I was really interested in.
    It's an upside down world we live in.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by David Goodman View Post
    Thank you, Justin.

I had planned to attend the class again in Las Vegas, but it was cancelled because I was the only person who registered. It was updated like this that I was really interested in.
    3/5/2018 thru 3/7/2018 the class is being held in Los Alamitos CA. at NCIs training center. You can call 7142203128 to get details

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12