Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazooka Joey View Post
    As others have said, trial and error, start at one setting, taking into consideration that the lower you go the longer it will run, meaning the more it will go into defrost, meaning if you wire your gas to come on during defrost that's another cost.

Do not know how much snow you get in your area, but if it's a good amount, it's a recommendation to elevate the OD unit if it's on a pad for better water drainage during defrost.

Typically the brochure will say to homeowners to physically remove any snow build up around OD unit coil.
    The OD unit is located under an over hang that is built for it. The side of the over hang is a lattice wall that is about 4 feet from the OD unit. No snow can get on it. It is on an elevated pad too. There is no foliage either.

I specifically wanted it like that to shade it from the 100+ degree sun in summer and the snow build ups in winter.
    But lattice so there is no way air flow to and out of the OD unit could be impeded.

OK trial and error.

So today's data is somewhat in-exact,
    With outdoor temps around 34 degrees out, there was still heat coming from the registers that did actually feel like heat. Not luke warm but warm. Not gas heat hot but warm. I was impressed with it actually.
    The thermostat is set at 30 degrees for OD unit cut out currently.

After reading from the links previously provided, this is single stage heat. I can't find if its single stage cooling though or not.

I have it set now for dual stage heat, single stage cooling.
    Is that bad for it?
    Do you recommend I set it for single stage heat?

Thanks so much for the information!
    M

Post Likes
    I would set it to 25 for compressor lock out. Trial and error is the best way to find out what the lowest temp is that the heat pump can still heat your house.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MKP View Post
    The OD unit is located under an over hang that is built for it. The side of the over hang is a lattice wall that is about 4 feet from the OD unit. No snow can get on it. It is on an elevated pad too. There is no foliage either.

I specifically wanted it like that to shade it from the 100+ degree sun in summer and the snow build ups in winter.
    But lattice so there is no way air flow to and out of the OD unit could be impeded.

OK trial and error.

So today's data is somewhat in-exact,
    With outdoor temps around 34 degrees out, there was still heat coming from the registers that did actually feel like heat. Not luke warm but warm. Not gas heat hot but warm. I was impressed with it actually.
    The thermostat is set at 30 degrees for OD unit cut out currently.

After reading from the links previously provided, this is single stage heat. I can't find if its single stage cooling though or not.

I have it set now for dual stage heat, single stage cooling.
    Is that bad for it?
    Do you recommend I set it for single stage heat?

Thanks so much for the information!
    M
    Yes set it for single stage cool and Heat.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    I would set it to 25 for compressor lock out. Trial and error is the best way to find out what the lowest temp is that the heat pump can still heat your house.
    How does a unit defrost itself when it doesn't have the ability to use Aux heat?

During my trial and error testing, is setting the outdoor lockout temperature too low something that can lead to damage?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MKP View Post
    How does a unit defrost itself when it doesn't have the ability to use Aux heat?

During my trial and error testing, is setting the outdoor lockout temperature too low something that can lead to damage?
    Aux heat isn't needed for a heat pump to defrost itself. Aux heat is so cold air isn't blown into the house.

Most dual fuel systems use the furnace as aux heat.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12