Post Likes

Any Thoughts or Feedback of Cirrus Air Tech Filters?

I recently purchased a new home in Houston area and it came with a proprietary 2" whole house media filter by Cirrus Air Tech I have never heard of this product or company. Being 2" filter housing, i can not use any of the more common 1" or 4" filters (like Lennox, Honeywell or 3M). The filter does not seem to effective at all - lots of dust all over my home, which causes havoc with my wife's and daughter's allergies. I need to find a better solution.

My extensive Google search did not yield any information!! Absolutely nothing!!!! Amazon lists a MERV 8 filter from Cirrus Air Tech, with no reviews!

Has anyone heard of this company or product? Any thoughts, feedback or comments? Should I ask my builder to change it to Lennox or Honeywell 4" housing that can take Lennox Healthy Choice filters?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Special-K; 01-07-2019 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Link removed

Post Likes
    Wow!
    I hope their spec sheet is not correct, it states .27 pressure drop at 500cfm which is real high.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Advanced Response View Post
    Wow!
    I hope their spec sheet is not correct, it states .27 pressure drop at 500cfm which is real high.
    What should be a reasonable pressure drop?

When I talked to the company, the owner claimed that they have the lease amount t of pressure drop!!

Post Likes
    Link removed. Please don't advertise a company without permission here.

Thanks,

Mod team

Post Likes
    An Aprilaire #210 has a pressure drop of .04 at 600cfm and only drops .22 at 2000cfm. They are known as quality filters.

Post Likes
    How about Honeywell or Lennox Healthy Choice filters? How do they compare with Aprilaire? All of them will require me to change the box (cabinet), since the builder put proprietary CirrusAir cabinet with 2" filter and an empty 4" housing for their upgrade option (StrataPlus, which consists of "CosaTron Electronic Air Purification Electrodes). I have serious concern about staying with this relatively unknown mom & pop shop (when I called, the owner himself answered!) with proprietary solution that has no independent verification of claims and no mention anywhere else.

I would appreciate if the Professionals on this group can give some feedback and advise as to what should be a good alternative. The current filtration system is grossly inadequate to remove the dust that we all are allergic to.

Post Likes
    I use the Honeywell f100 media filtration system on every install
    Very good quality.
    If you need something that is more advanced.
    If you have asthma or servere allergies, I recommend either the carrier infinity air purifier or Aprilaire 5000.

I personally have the carrier infinity air purifier.

Good luck

Post Likes
    The filter in your HVAC equipment is to Protect the equipment only, it is not designed to filter contaminants out of the air.

Central vacuum with outside air exhaust can do that!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Advanced Response View Post
    I use the Honeywell f100 media filtration system on every install
    Very good quality.
    If you need something that is more advanced.
    If you have asthma or servere allergies, I recommend either the carrier infinity air purifier or Aprilaire 5000.

I personally have the carrier infinity air purifier.

Good luck
    Thanks for your suggestion. I will follow up on that.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    The filter in your HVAC equipment is to Protect the equipment only, it is not designed to filter contaminants out of the air.

Central vacuum with outside air exhaust can do that!
    As a homewner with limited knowledge of HVAC system, I was not aware of this. I have always been told by professionals that better filter will reduce the dust and allergens in my home. As a closed loop air circulation system, I assume that the filter will reduce the circulating dust, pollen etc. as it passes through the filter! Now I am thoroughly confused!!

Post Likes
    Your system can only clean the air that circulates thru it. What he is stating is it is not a vacuum cleaner and does not eliminate all the dust and dirt in your home. Also if the ductwork is in the floor, dust and dirt may settle in the ductwork anytime the system fan cycles off and blow out when the blower activates.

Many customers and contractors are confused and think a filteration unit will clean the house or keep the house clean. No matter how good the filteration unit is, it will only collect the dust or debris that is circulated thru the system.

The informorcials for air cleaners that show a small box that cleans the air so quickly is a scam box. It is using the filter with high airflow in a very small area cube. We could design a house system for that purpose but you home would then be an air tunnel. So all the air in your home will not be cleaned, it depends on the way your ductwork is designed and what areas of your home has stagnant areas with poor circulation.

Post Likes
    Also, no inline filter is hepa grade and filters 100% of the allergens of even the air that circulates thru it.

As hepa grade filters are too restrictive for airflow required by the system.

If you need that severe of clean air then you would need to have a bypass hepa filtration system installed on your system also and may even want to have individual rooms hepa units installed in the home. But don’t forget to get the highest quality hepa grade vacuums or have a central vacuum that exhausts outside.

Post Likes
    Thanks for that detailed explanation. That is quite helpful. Now that I have a better understanding of the function and limitation of the air filtration system, I am rethinking my origianl question: Should I invest in replacing this no-nake 2" filter with very high pressure drop with one of the better options recommended here earlier in the thread? Would the iprovement worth it? I am guessing that this should not take a lot of money - last time, in my previous home, I paid around $360 or so (per unit) when installed with a new system.

I am thinking that before I invest in a "real" air cleaning / filtration system (as suggested here), I should try the lower cost option first and if it does not produce the result I need, then I can go for the more comprehensive solution. Does that sound like a reasonable approach? Any thoughts or feedback?

Thanks for all the feedback and omments so far. Helping me a lot!!