Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Likes

Confused Zoning - buffering like sound

Long time reader first time posting. I'm a general contractor, we as a company have been exploring residential automation and zoning lately. I have a project that I'm having a small problem with and will like to get advise from people that been doing this longer than me. We have installed completely new duct runs for supply and return at this location. Supplays are zoned with IO controls and work great for most part. Great airflow and good static pressure over the entire system. I'm running in one problem. I get "buffering" like noise. Noise is similar to driving your car with only one window crack open. Noise is only present in customer living room right above the furnace room, located in the basement. Noise can be heard with one zone on or with all 3 zones calling. Ductwork is sized correctly and only questionable design problem that we were running in to was a plenum. we had to flare it out to the take off above. I had done similar plenums before and never had problems. This customer is very particular about sound control so this is a problem for him. Has anyone here experience this problem before?

Post Likes
    Duct work on zoned systems are a completely different engineering headache.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Duct work on zoned systems are a completely different engineering headache.
    Tell me about it pecmsg.

Post Likes
    Do you still get the noise when the whole system is calling 100%. Also check that the zone dampers are installed with the correct air flow going through them and static pressure setting for bypass damper.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by servicefitter View Post
    Do you still get the noise when the whole system is calling 100%. Also check that the zone dampers are installed with the correct air flow going through them and static pressure setting for bypass damper.
    Yes, even when the whole system
    Is calling. it’s weird because it can be only heard in the room above the furnace right over the plenum. I can walk to the kitchen few feet away and I can’t hear it any more and nothing upstairs.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by adamf79 View Post
    Tell me about it pecmsg.
    Ducts are designed to deliver X amount of air. Take a duct system and zone it the furnace will still attempt to deliver the same amount of air in less duct. That equals resistance and noise!

Post Likes
    Ducts are designed to deliver X amount of air. Take a duct system and zone it the furnace will still attempt to deliver the same amount of air in less duct. That equals resistance and noise!
    System is 2 stage with variable speed and as i previously mention even with all zones calling and fully open, that noise is present. And only above the furnace. In a room above. Also all zones calling, duct runs are design to handle over 2200cfm.

I wish I could post some pictures of plenum and duct runs, but there is no option for it. Only for link to pictures.

Post Likes

9. Likes HVAC_Marc liked this post
    Post Likes
    Bad duct design!
    I figure this is a place for advice from tradesmen in the same trade not just criticism pecmsg. If you don't want to help then don't. "Bad duct design" does not help me at all. I also think that duct design was done right. We had a very respected company in zoning business go through it. Many people here use there's equipment. Also, it is not across the whole house. Only above the furnace, actually, furnace plenum. maybe it's not duct at all, maybe it just echoes through the floor cavity above plenum.

I post here because I read through this forum many times, and seen a lot of great advice between people in a trade. Not sure why you always have to be so dry. if you don't want to help and don't have anything helpful to add, then just don't man, and move on, because maybe someone else will that had the same experience as me.

Post Likes
    In 40+ years never heard of buffering. Other odd noises. I have the factory rep come out.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by servicefitter View Post
    In 40+ years never heard of buffering. Other odd noises. I have the factory rep come out.
    Thank you servicefitter. That would be out next step. I’m going to try recording the noise if I can pick it up with my phone and maybe post it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by adamf79 View Post
    Long time reader first time posting.
    Are you aware skull791 is chiming in as though he is you?

Hello, and welcome to the mental health hotline.

If you are obsessive-compulsive, press 1 repeatedly.

If you are co-dependent, please ask someone to press 2 for you.

If you have multiple personalities, press 3, 4, 5, and 6.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by btuhack View Post
    Are you aware skull791 is chiming in as though he is you?

Hello, and welcome to the mental health hotline.

If you are obsessive-compulsive, press 1 repeatedly.

If you are co-dependent, please ask someone to press 2 for you.

If you have multiple personalities, press 3, 4, 5, and 6.
    He works for us, told him to chime in if he has something to add. I was out to dinner.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast