Post Likes

Freezer or refrigerator? Home owner question

My goal is to maintain food temperature at zero degree C (32 deg F) plus minus a few degrees of fluctuation. A plan is to buy a freezer and a thermostat controller from Amazon to switch on/off the freezer. The other plan is to get a refrigerator and keep the refrigerator section at the lowest setting. I prefer the freezer approach because of better temperature control. But I wonder if I will run the freezer out of the designed temperature range and ruin it prematurely. Thank you.

Post Likes
    yes you should be concerned. Operating at 32f is at its highest operating pressures if not above.

Why 32f?

Post Likes
    What product are you using? How long will the product be kept at your desired temp?

Post Likes
    Terry

Hows the Foot?

Post Likes
    Thank you for the explanation that 32 F would set refrigerant pressure above the highest design pressure. I have never thought about this. I was thinking about a chest freezer from Home Depot, Best Buy or Sears. Based on your recommendation, I will buy a refrigerator and set temperature at the lowest setting. Thank you.

By the way, I don't understand the question, "how is the foot"? I don't know much about refrigeration.

Post Likes
    If you buy a refrigerator, and set it to 32*, what will you do about defrost?
    I havent failed. Ive just found 10,000 ways that wont work. - Thomas Edison

Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rider77 View Post
    If you buy a refrigerator, and set it to 32*, what will you do about defrost?
    As long as he's talking about an average fridge/freezer combo then I think he'll be OK, since defrost will still happen just like it's supposed to in the freezer section.

Hey Parker, you like yourself some cold beer, don't 'cha? Is that what this is about?
    If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Is Not for You.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ammoniadog View Post
    As long as he's talking about an average fridge/freezer combo then I think he'll be OK, since defrost will still happen just like it's supposed to in the freezer section.

Hey Parker, you like yourself some cold beer, don't 'cha? Is that what this is about?
    Yes, that's my revised plan to buy a top-freezer buttom-refrigerator and keep the refrigerator at low temperature setting. Yes, similar to kegerator.

I haven't thought about defrosting. What if I turn off auto-defrosting and do manual defrotsing?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Terry

How’s the Foot?
    Foots fine ,3 weeks to go.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TechmanTerry View Post
    Foots fine ,3 weeks to go.