Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    175
    Post Likes

    testo 510i monometer

    Happy new year to all the techs,I recently got the testo 510i monometer that reads gas pressure,air velocity & cfm. They sell separate static pressure probes that only measures static pressure & probes called pitot tube ,that measures velocity pressure ,cfm,fpm & static pressure @ he same time.The testo app figures all out for you. I would like to know if any one used the pitot tube to read static pressure on duct or cfm accurately. any information would be appropriated.If i dont have to buy the static probes & only buy the pitot tube to serve both purposes would be great,thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    156
    Post Likes
    I think you mean a static pressure tip, not a pitot tube.
    In any case the testo 510i is perfect for that application.
    We make a kit at TruTechTools just for that purpose.
    https://www.trutechtools.com/SPTK


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bill Spohn
    President & CEO
    www.TruTechTools.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    156
    Post Likes
    Pitot tube measures air velocity, then you calculate CFM with cross sectional area.

    The 510i resolution will only work with a Pitot with duct velocities over 700 FPM. If duct velocity is under 700 FPM, then a finer (more expensive) manometer would be needed to use with the pitot tube.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bill Spohn
    President & CEO
    www.TruTechTools.com

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    175
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    thanks for getting back with the link & information, would you recommend the testo 405i over the 510i for measuring cfm & velocity pressure ? for residential & commercial use ?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    156
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by nytech28 View Post
    thanks for getting back with the link & information, would you recommend the testo 405i over the 510i for measuring cfm & velocity pressure ? for residential & commercial use ?
    They are different technologies for different purposes.

    The 405i is a hot wire anemometer, so it will measure air velocity and temperature in a duct. You’ll have to traverse it across the duct to get your average velocity, then multiply by the cross sectional area to get your CFM. You can’t use it effectively at supplies or returns.

    The 510i is a pressure meter so you can use it with 2 static pressure probes and knowing the mfrs static pressure tables, figure out system AirFlow (CFM). You could use it with a pitot tube if the duct velocity is over 700 feet per minute. You cannot measure supply and return AirFlow with the 510i.

    Check out this resource guide

    https://www.trutechtools.com/Measuri...sandTechniques


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bill Spohn
    President & CEO
    www.TruTechTools.com

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    175
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by TruTech-Bill View Post
    They are different technologies for different purposes.

    The 405i is a hot wire anemometer, so it will measure air velocity and temperature in a duct. You’ll have to traverse it across the duct to get your average velocity, then multiply by the cross sectional area to get your CFM. You can’t use it effectively at supplies or returns.

    The 510i is a pressure meter so you can use it with 2 static pressure probes and knowing the mfrs static pressure tables, figure out system AirFlow (CFM). You could use it with a pitot tube if the duct velocity is over 700 feet per minute. You cannot measure supply and return AirFlow with the 510i.

    Check out this resource guide

    https://www.trutechtools.com/Measuri...sandTechniques


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    that's great thanks

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    3,138
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by nytech28 View Post
    thanks for getting back with the link & information, would you recommend the testo 405i over the 510i for measuring cfm & velocity pressure ? for residential & commercial use ?
    I've tested the 405i against several different devices. I found it to be fairly accurate at higher velocity supply air readings, exceeding the Testo 417 large vane, but low velocity can get varied results. The Pitot set up can be fairly accurate, but you need laminar flow in a long straight section of ducting. So, if you're measuring residential applications, these don't typically work very well.

    The best option I've found so far is the Testo 420 using return air measurements.
    If you need lower volume supply air measurements, my Alnor low flow hood works much better.

    I really think all of the other tool methods for reading residential air flow is a exercise in futility.

    Reading static pressure is the best means if you don't want to spend big $$$.
    Don't waste your time or money on a Pitot. They are great for the right application, but there's too much turbulence in most ducts. Also, using a digital manometer is not good for a Pitot IMO. The best would be a Magnehelic. Still one of the best, most useful gauges on the market.

    Digital pressure gauges develop drift during measurements. Very expensive manometers use a built in solenoid valve to "auto zero" the gauge at set intervals, like every 10-20 seconds or so.
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" Socrates

    Visit us at Dr. Degree°s HVAC
    or like us on Facebook

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    175
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by mgenius33 View Post
    I've tested the 405i against several different devices. I found it to be fairly accurate at higher velocity supply air readings, exceeding the Testo 417 large vane, but low velocity can get varied results. The Pitot set up can be fairly accurate, but you need laminar flow in a long straight section of ducting. So, if you're measuring residential applications, these don't typically work very well.

    The best option I've found so far is the Testo 420 using return air measurements.
    If you need lower volume supply air measurements, my Alnor low flow hood works much better.

    I really think all of the other tool methods for reading residential air flow is a exercise in futility.

    Reading static pressure is the best means if you don't want to spend big $$$.
    Don't waste your time or money on a Pitot. They are great for the right application, but there's too much turbulence in most ducts. Also, using a digital manometer is not good for a Pitot IMO. The best would be a Magnehelic. Still one of the best, most useful gauges on the market.
    I will just stay with my static pressure tips & 510i ,to keep things simple, I just wanted to educate my self on these instruments ,I will raraly use my 510i ,but thanks for getting back & the info.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor MagazineThe place where Electrical professionals meet.