Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    When I was a pup back in the 1950's I remember the ice at a popular downtown diner. The "cubes" looked like those from a Vogt or other tube icemaker and we kids used to stack them up on the straw.

My father used to service the machine, which was (I think) was a York. I'll have to ask my older brother who may remember working on it.

I've seen a couple of other machines that made ice with a hole in it. One was a Koch from around 1970, which formed the ice in a vertical tube and a little air compressor that pumped in air from the bottom. The ice formed in a cylinder shape until the ice blocked the hole in the center, causing the air pressure to rise. That initiated the water-assisted harvest and the ice cylinder shot out of the tube with a noticeable "BOOM". It got broken up by a breaker bar as it was ejected and dumped into the bin.

The other one was in a C-store from around 1990 and it worked in a similar fashion but recirculated water instead of pumping air up through the evaporator tubes. I don't remember the name though.

2. Likes CRussell1975 liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    The ice formed in a cylinder shape until the ice blocked the hole in the center, causing the air pressure to rise. That initiated the water-assisted harvest and the ice cylinder shot out of the tube with a noticeable "BOOM". It got broken up by a breaker bar as it was ejected and dumped into the bin.
    Imagine being tired and jumpy from too many hours and working on that thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't fix it if it won't stay broke..

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CRussell1975 View Post
    First time I worked on one, I was being trained.

The front panels were off.

The guys training me how the machine worked, heard it go into harvest and said “stay right there for a min” and walked away.

About 30 seconds later the breaker bar (the bar in the bottom that breaks the ice up as it slides off the tube) started and was slinging ice everywhere. I was running and they were laughing there asses off.

Idiots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LOL. This made my day. Those bullies. Never seen one with this kind of ice machine but it made me imagine on your story.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12