+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Who makes this ice?

Post Likes

Who makes this ice?

I’ve seen it twice before and I feel like I’ve serviced a machine that made it but I just can’t place it. And it’s bothering the heck out of me not knowing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes

Who makes this ice?

That's an old Scotsman under counter machine. They still make those for residential use. Like a home bar.

Edit: I don't think they are Scotsman made now. But I may be wrong.

I can't fix it if it won't stay broke..

Post Likes
    I thought about that but wasn’t that more bell shaped? And not hollow all the way through?

The other reason I dismissed the Scotsman as an option was I got this ice from a butcher when I picked up my order. I wouldn’t think he uses an under counter ice machine for his entire shop. Could be wrong though.

Post Likes
    In that case it’s a tube ice of some sort. I know VOGT makes one. To think about it that is the same ice that Reddy Ice (bagged ice distributor) has.

Post Likes
    Yep I think your right, it’s a Vogt. I just checked their website out and they describe a “tube ice” product.

That machine would be more fitting for this butcher shop too. Thanks!

Post Likes
    Yep, that's made from a Vogt tube ice machine. If you see it at a bar or restaurant it usually means that their ice machine is broken and they had to buy ice from a store or have it delivered to them.

Vogt machines are typically huge and very expensive. It's rare to see one in action in a restaurant, although there are a few out there.
    If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Is Not for You.

7. Likes VanMan812 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    First time I worked on one, I was being trained.

The front panels were off.

The guys training me how the machine worked, heard it go into harvest and said “stay right there for a min” and walked away.

About 30 seconds later the breaker bar (the bar in the bottom that breaks the ice up as it slides off the tube) started and was slinging ice everywhere. I was running and they were laughing there asses off.

Idiots.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CRussell1975 View Post

The guys training me how the machine worked, heard it go into harvest and said “stay right there for a min” and walked away.

About 30 seconds later the breaker bar (the bar in the bottom that breaks the ice up as it slides off the tube) started and was slinging ice everywhere. I was running and they were laughing there asses off.

Idiots.

Hahahahaha I’ve never worked on or seen a Vogt but I can picture your story in my head. Sounds like something I’d do to my trainees. Lol

Post Likes
    That's priceless

Post Likes
    Not a breaker bar it’s a cutter.
    In reverse it shatters the cube into small pieces.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Not a breaker bar it’s a cutter.
    In reverse it shatters the cube into small pieces.
    All I knew it was slinging ice.

Post Likes
    All I knew it was slinging ice.

That it does!

Post Likes
    Vogt makes that small tube ice machines?

Post Likes
    When I was a pup back in the 1950's I remember the ice at a popular downtown diner. The "cubes" looked like those from a Vogt or other tube icemaker and we kids used to stack them up on the straw.

My father used to service the machine, which was (I think) was a York. I'll have to ask my older brother who may remember working on it.

I've seen a couple of other machines that made ice with a hole in it. One was a Koch from around 1970, which formed the ice in a vertical tube and a little air compressor that pumped in air from the bottom. The ice formed in a cylinder shape until the ice blocked the hole in the center, causing the air pressure to rise. That initiated the water-assisted harvest and the ice cylinder shot out of the tube with a noticeable "BOOM". It got broken up by a breaker bar as it was ejected and dumped into the bin.

The other one was in a C-store from around 1990 and it worked in a similar fashion but recirculated water instead of pumping air up through the evaporator tubes. I don't remember the name though.

16. Likes WT70 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    The ice formed in a cylinder shape until the ice blocked the hole in the center, causing the air pressure to rise. That initiated the water-assisted harvest and the ice cylinder shot out of the tube with a noticeable "BOOM". It got broken up by a breaker bar as it was ejected and dumped into the bin.
    Imagine being tired and jumpy from too many hours and working on that thing.

Post Likes

Idiots.

LOL. This made my day. Those bullies. Never seen one with this kind of ice machine but it made me imagine on your story.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in