Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gt4902 View Post
    I do not make commissions per se. My company has a dedicated salesman, but anything I turn over to him from my service calls that he ends up selling I get a small bonus. So my bonuses vary from week to week. His annual salary is double what mine is.
    Not to write it in stone but you’ll likely be hourly for commercial refrigeration service.
    I havent failed. Ive just found 10,000 ways that wont work. - Thomas Edison

Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    Hummm....are you a good salesman ?
    Yea, I believe I am, but I really dont enjoy it. I prefer being in the field and getting my hands dirty. I like the sense of pride I get from working on the equipment. I think I'd go crazy if I drove around all day with a clipboard "schmoozing" people all day. I know I could make more money doing it but I'd rather find a job that allows me to stay in the field but also make the money I need.

Post Likes
    Your hands will get more than dirty in commercial refrigeration. I'm in light commercial now working on stand alone units for a manufacturer, mostly warranty calls. Good for getting basics down (electricity, brazing, troubleshooting, etc) but the pay isn't stellar, and no OT. From what I can see, pay tops out here at 60k. Great working out of a van where you have 99% of the parts you need and don't have to wait for say a compressor or fan or some random part. Grocery is where it's at tho, 100k annually is not out of reach, and that's non-union.

Post Likes
    I made a similar move a few years ago which worked out well for me. I had a pregnant wife in school, a kid at home and a few resi/ light commercial companies I worked for where I couldnt approach paying the bills with what I was payed and I couldnt wait for it to get busy again or id be broke. A commercial company that did mostly refrigeration hired me. I found the dirk wirz book extremely useful in working my mind through the basics. Fortunately some of the older techs would pick up the phone and share their knowledge when I got stumped. I wish you luck

Post Likes
    As a tech whos done both.

Yes its really good money. Dont get me wrong.
    BUT
    If you dont like going out at 3am and having to stay there for 4+ hours melting ice off a door to replace the door heater because it failed. Then its not for you.

I miss working on refrigeration.

What I dont miss is the a55hole chefs/managers in the restaurants. Cleaning out gross ice machines, pulling mice parts out of condensers. Getting food and hot grease dropped on you when youre trying to work on a reach In, in the middle of a lunch rush.

Give it a shot, you might like it or not

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12