Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Covered Work

Post Likes
    Don't know Airco. Really, ACCO? I don't think it's right. Not both at the same company. Even NSMA/National Agreement Contractors are doing it here. So much for Covered Work then.

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    We tend to do things a little differently on the west coast compared to the east coast. Our local "104" I believe is the largest SM local in the nation. We cover most of California after merger with 2 other locals. I know when I was working for a SM company (Retired for 5 yrs now) we were not signatory to the fittters only SM. We needed some more service people and there were none available. We signed an agreement with the fitters and hired a couple of their service techs. So we had both SM and fitter service techs at the company. Both the fitters and SM claimed the same work so it wasn't a big deal for us.

Post Likes
    With respect to trade unions, it depends on what area you are in, agreements vary all over the country. Many time busniess that have there own union staff get precidence over the trades brought in to augment them. The unions and many times what company (busniess) you are in. I have been in some industrial setting in that it went back to original construction as to who did it first on a site as to who's work it actually was

Post Likes
    For the record, I don't agree. That's similar to a SM Union Contractor employing Boilermakers Union workers to work metal which would be Covered Work of the SM Union.

Post Likes
    Sure a contractor can hire more than one trade, but that does not mean a Sheet Metal guy should be doing the work of a Boiler Maker or vice versa, they just don't have the same skill base. Good way to get yourself in trouble with respect to injury and damage or law suits that the "contractor" could be liable for by having the correct people do the work. In the big picture scheme why someone would hire as you state, a Boiler Maker to do Sheet Metal work is confusing to me. Because every contract I have ever seen the Boiler Maker wages are significantly more than an Sheet Metal guy. When the name of the game for winning work is to be the most cost effective bid (I did not say cheap). Why would anyone use a more expensive craft than what is needed makes no good sense.

Yes there is some amount of overlap between the trades and that is usually what is considered usual and customary. For my area such as: An HVAC guy can disconnect and reconnect the gas and electric from a furnace. But to add, re-route, change (pull new wire) is an electricians job. To add, re-route, change a gas line that is a Plumbers job. Another example. HVAC buddy replaced a roof to unit. The electrical disconnect box was attached to the RTU. He removed and reattached the disconnect box to the new unit. The city fine him $500 because that was electrcians work. Had the disconnect box been on the a separate structure and connected via an electrical whip then he would have not been fined, for my area.

Good Luck

Post Likes
    Contractor with servicefitters and seviceplumbers, construction fitters, ems servicefitters ,plumbers all ua, tinners construction and service and wireman service and construction all union. For the most part we all get along we might have a complaint once or twice a year with stewards involvement, men talk with each other and come to agreement and most of the time the men settled it without the office knowing about it. Everybody knows that we have to be competitive and if someone is doing another trades work and it's only couple hours everyone is cool with it. Just like the pipe cover we might put on 6' of covering but we deal with a contractor and tell them what we need on service jobs ( sometimes the estimator comes out) boom it's done.

Post Likes
    When your on a large job 10+ with multiple trades thats when bussiness agents, stewards and bussiness manager may get envolved. And what is interesting when they quote agreements from 50 years ago.

Post Likes
    This was not regarding any Construction sites. This was regarding a Service Dept which has more than one Union in it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by AdrianOmarPerez View Post
    This was not regarding any Construction sites. This was regarding a Service Dept which has more than one Union in it.

I was talking about service and the trades. Construction is a different animal but either way we have to give 110%. My local union which is plumbers and pipefitters has not only the best and educated work force has the top leadership of any local. Being a member for over 40 years. I have been to union schools every winter except for two years + thru the contractor almost every year have been to manufacture schools. This trade is changing so fast there is know way without education you can keep up. Large contractors have a advantage over smaller contractors they can can be strategic contractors partners with manufacturers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12