+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Venting connection question

Post Likes

Venting connection question

Hi, I just had a Valor 739MN gas insert installed a few days ago. I saw the installer slid the vent liners onto the vent collars (look tight), then secured with screws. But the installer did not "apply RTV sealant to the collars on the vent slider" as said in the installation manual (came with the unit). I am just a homeowner with no experience and only read the manual after the installer left. Do think this is something I should be worried about? Can carbon monoxide leak out of the connection? So far the unit is running fine.
    Thank you!

Post Likes
    Tell him to come back and read the instructions.

Post Likes
    Well I would expect him to be unhappy, or even defensive, about it. It can be hard being a professional got questioned like that. He can also dismiss it as something unimportant? I just wonder if this is something serious that I should be worried about to bring up with him/the company. What do you think?

Post Likes
    Then call the manufacturer and ask for tech support.
    Explain to them your concern and see what their opinion is on the installation.

Post Likes
    Manufacturers instructions are meant to be followed. If they did not want sealant in the vent system they would not have put it in the manual. Also wording is important. If it says may it means that it is suggested but up to the installer whether they want to or not. If they say shall then it is a requirement by the manufacturer. If it is not installed according to manufacturer's instructions then then do not have to warranty it. I would follow up on it. The 739 is a sealed combustion unit, if there is no sealant on the vent then it is no longer sealed combustion.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in