Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Likes
    I poked around at this case a bit more. There is a trap. It's just a shallow P trap and in a place I hadn't noticed or don't remember seeing it before, but it's there. The trap is warm to the touch and the pipe stays warm (heading up stream) until it makes 90 degree turn towards the drain. This isn't the 90 that I mentioned earlier.
    I do remember, years and years ago I replaced the heater. I wrapped it around the pipe as best as I could and left enough hanging out the back (outside the building, to push it back in, past the first 90, though the trap and up to that last 90 degree turn.
    Whether or not that's when the freezing started, I don't remember, it would was probably at least a decade ago.

Having said that, I think what I need to do is add another heater for the final run.

Post Likes
    It sounds like youre double trapped. You have a factory drain and the "accidental" trap, near the cooler tie-in.
    As Icemeister said, that would cause it to not drain at times. (Air bound)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by icy78 View Post
    It sounds like youre double trapped. You have a factory drain and the "accidental" trap, near the cooler tie-in.
    As Icemeister said, that would cause it to not drain at times. (Air bound)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Yep, any time there are two (or more) traps in series the drain can get air bound unless they're properly vented to atmosphere in between traps.

Post Likes
    That makes sense.
    Replumbing the drain would be a large project. And even if that is causing an issue, I have to think that not having the very first section not being heated is also part of it.
    Dropping a heater in there will be easy. I think I'll do that first and see what happens.
    It'll be interesting if keeps happening. It would mean that that's been the issue from day one.

And, now that I think about it, I would have to replumb the entire system. I could just splice in a T between traps with a few inches of pipe pointed straight up or even see if it's possible to stick something under the existing T (where the water is collecting) to wedge it up. It just needs to be higher than the outlet, but low enough that the trap(s) still function properly. It would only need to be raised about an inch, but I have no idea how stiff/rigid all this pipe is, I've never tried to move it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12