+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: INFICON 711-202-G1

Post Likes

INFICON 711-202-G1

Does anyone own/use a INFICON 711-202-G1 ? Do you like it ? Just getting back into the HVAC service side of the business . I have used the combo of Ultra sonic leak detectors ,spray bottle and heated diode leak detectors in the past (never liked the ultra violate dye) and together they seem to get the job done for me . I used the Amp probe (ultra sonic) one in the past but seems to need replacing quite often ( Might have been my handling of it )

Post Likes
    I have used ultrasonic detectors before but not inficon. I never had any real luck with ultrasonic...maybe I didn’t understand them or give them much time.

When it comes to tools, I prefer tried-n-true tools. I don’t tend to jump on the latest and greatest...although I did purchase a bluevac (which is awesome!).

With some areas being so tight, I don’t understand how you are supposed to get that big leak detector in those spaces to pinpoint a leak.
    "Right" is not the same as "Wise".

Don't step on my favorite part of the Constitution just to point out your favorite part.

Just because you can measure it, doesn't mean it is important. Just because you can't measure it, doesn't mean it isn't important.

Post Likes
    If you get a Inficon, get the D-Tek Select 712-202-G1. I own one and In my opinion it's one of the best portables. Otherwise the H-10 Bacharach is highly rated but a little more bulky.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rkious View Post
    Does anyone own/use a INFICON 711-202-G1 ? Do you like it ? Just getting back into the HVAC service side of the business . I have used the combo of Ultra sonic leak detectors ,spray bottle and heated diode leak detectors in the past (never liked the ultra violate dye) and together they seem to get the job done for me . I used the Amp probe (ultra sonic) one in the past but seems to need replacing quite often ( Might have been my handling of it )
    The Inficon "whisper" is the biggest piece of junk money can buy, dont waste your money but if you still feel the urge to buy one I would be happy to sell you mine
    There is not better place for the working men than the union! 100% UA the only HVAC union!

Post Likes
    I have had 2 of the DTek Select & if this one broke I would not hesitate to buy another. Highly recommended ,, it will not let you down.

https://products.inficon.com/en-us/n...leak-detector/

Below is their new product ,, it has not been released in OZ yet ,, I wouldn’t mind having a look at it when it arrives.
    https://products.inficon.com/nav-pro...leak-detector/
    The primary function of the design engineer is to make things difficult for the fabricator and impossible for the serviceman.

Post Likes
    Well looks like I will skip the "whisper" . Will go with the Amp probe one . I start with the "KISS " method and look for oil first . Then it it,s a known fast leaker use nitrogen and spray . If it is not a fast one I use the Ultra sonic or regular heated diode detector. The last straw is to split and pressurize . BTW I do not own stock in any Ultra sonic leak detector companies .

Post Likes
    Not to hijack, but has anybody heard when Inficons latest and greatest leak detector is coming out. I believed it was called Stratus, and had a ppm display one it. Looked pretty cool.

Post Likes
    Hey guys,
    Just saw this thread and wanted to offer a little insight.

711-202-G1, our Whisper, is an Ultrasonic as some of you mentioned. Ultrasonic is a tricky technology in that it doesn't work for every application. It will work great for one job, but may not work at all for the next. It depends on the leak size/shape/pressure and so it's pretty unpredictable. BUT, the nice thing is that it works for things like nitrogen or compressed air leaks. I certainly would not rely on an ultrasonic to be your everyday go-to leak detector. valdelocc, sorry you had a bad experience with it. Give us a call at 800-344-3304 and maybe we can help.

As for the new one, D-TEK Stratus, we admit it's taken longer than originally expected to get it up and going, but it's very close now. We wanted to make sure we release a product that works properly and so we took some extra time to get things right. We're very excited about it, though. I don't have an exact ship date yet, but it's coming soon.

9. Likes adam_s05 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    thanks for responding Inficon. I'm glad to hear your explanation of the Ultrasonic. I've had one for several years, and wasn't able find anything with it. Frankly, I felt the same as Valdeloc about it. Recently though, I had two occasions where my standard detectors (H10 pro & D tek select) weren't pinpointing leaks, but I was able to pinpoint them VERY quickly with the whisper.

those 2 leaks, and you're explanation makes me feel more comfortable about keeping it on the truck. I'll likely pull it out more often now.

Post Likes
    No problem 71CHOPS and glad to hear you found that leak! Never hesitate to contact us with questions. We're here to help!

800-344-3304
    service.tools@inficon.com

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Inficon_TekSupport View Post
    As for the new one, D-TEK Stratus, we admit it's taken longer than originally expected to get it up and going, but it's very close now. We wanted to make sure we release a product that works properly and so we took some extra time to get things right. We're very excited about it, though. I don't have an exact ship date yet, but it's coming soon.
    Any updates on the release date?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Saturatedpsi View Post
    Any updates on the release date?
    Sure! We expect to start shipping the first units next month, so you should start seeing them at distributors in May.

Post Likes
    Is the Stratus ($1000) going to be the best portable leak detector we can buy for HVACR?

I think its a fair question being priced at DOUBLE a H10-Pro ($500) the current top of the chain when it comes to price.

Just looking at specs from both manufacturers the Stratus shows a sensitivity of .03 oz/yr VS the H10-Pro showing .006 oz/yr.

As far as IR goes the Stratus looks like they blow away the other hand held IR detectors but to many here that's not saying much.

IMO from the IR detectors I've had in the past operate like the earlier description of Ultrasonic. Works in some cases and not in others.

Going from when it's be discussed here in the past it seems like IR is affected by common gasses found in the field with similar IR properties to refrigerant where heated sensor detectors are not.

I have a ultrasonic detector. Used it this morning. Wasn't the first detector I grabbed but I would have been guessing where the leak was in the evaporator coil without it.

I can see the cloud hunting feature of the Stratus being helpful but the less expensive Select already has a way to check concentration levels.

So is double the price for a good IR worth it just to get up to the sensitivity of a heated type sensor?

You could literally buy a heated type, IR type and ultrasonic type as a bundle for the price of one Stratus IR...

Post Likes
    While this new leak detector sounds cool and all, I am concerned about accuracy (long term, calibration too) and what it may cause some customers to believe. Right now, I use the Inficon Tek-Mate and I love it. I write down the leaks based on “Very Small”, “Small”, “Medium”, “Large” and “Very Large”. These are MY interpretations of what the leak rates are. It is very subjective and at my descretion. A “Very Large” leak on a small unit may be the same approximate leak rate as “Small” on a large chiller. While a PPM type of leak detector would relieve that interpretation, I wonder if a customer would be pissed off at the example below.

if I just finished an overhaul on a 3,000 ton chiller, and a single fitting had a leak rate of 10 ppm, I would suspect that this leak rate would be acceptable. Considering the size of the refrigerant charge and the leak rate, it would take an extremely long time to lose enough refrigerant to make any sort of difference..but would they know that? Would they fight that?

A 10 ppm leak on a residential unit would not take as long to make a difference in the performance of the unit...but they would register as the same size leak (just as the Tek-Mate does). What would you write down? Small or Large or 10 PPM?

Engineering units are great but may present a legal issue in this case. While the legal letter of the law states that you can leak X% per year, could a lawyer argue or reverse engineer your paperwork stating that you knew it was leaking X%+ per year and that you (the technician) are the responsible party? Just some thoughts.

Don't step on my favorite part of the Constitution just to point out your favorite part.

Just because you can measure it, doesn't mean it is important. Just because you can't measure it, doesn't mean it isn't important.

Post Likes
    No way you could figure a rate off just ppm.

17. Likes Spitz liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I just bought a new D-tek select today.I have had almost every leak detector made.I have good luck with D-Tek.I also use a yellow jacket accuprobe,which I like.This will be my fourth D-tek in about 25 years.i have an original one from 1993,Still works, but only good for R-22.I have two G.E H-10.Never had good luck with them.I know a lot of guys love them, not me.I like the D-Tek better.Oh yeah,Bachrach makes the H-10 now.I also own a Inficon WhisperAire.I like it.I have found many leaks with it.Someone else posted that it was junk!!!I have had good luck with it.Leak detectors are funny,You will like what works best for you.Johnstone has a good price on the D-Tek now, until May.On sale for $350.00 plus tax.That is a good price.

Post Likes
    Is it going to be that much better than the D-Tek select.worth more than twice the amount of the select!!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    No way you could figure a rate off just ppm.
    That’s for a panel of 12 peers to decide.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Gleng View Post
    Is it going to be that much better than the D-Tek select.worth more than twice the amount of the select!!!
    We'll know soon enough from the inevitable sponsored and paid for videos on YT and FB.
    Shouldn't be too hard to figure out if they are full of stuff. Probably guys here now that used one already but can't talk about it or why it's been delayed.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    Probably guys here now that used one already but can't talk about it or why it's been delayed.
    At least it wasn't rushed to market. Would rather wait till they get it right

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in